Indiana, PA - Indiana County

cutline Rossiter

on July 30, 2013 3:00 PM

Submitted photo

THE NEW YORK Central Railroad set up its first Indiana County coal town at Rossiter in 1900. This 1930 photo shows the tipple there, operated by the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corp. Rossiter was named for William Rossiter, treasurer and a major stockholder in the company. It had a population of about 3,620 people in the 1929-30 era. The mines closed in 1942, according to county historian John Busovicki, of Clymer, who submitted this photo.

Next Article
Indiana woman charged with making false report
July 30, 2013 11:00 AM
Related Articles
Comments
Disclaimer: Copyright © 2014 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.