HUMAN SERVICES CALENDAR
Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• Community Kitchen will provide free meals from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday at the Dixonville Wesleyan Church social hall; and 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday at Church of the Resurrection, Clymer. For information, call Cindy Briggs at (724) 397-9498. Visit the new website at https://sites.google.com/site/dwccommunitykitchen.
• The Indiana County Department of Human Services and the United Way of Indiana County have partnered with PA 2-1-1 Southwest to bring a free human services helpline to Indiana County. County residents are now able to dial 2-1-1 and be connected with a live operator 24 hours a day, seven days a week, who can connect them with human services help. Please share this number with family and friends who may not be sure where to turn for help with such things as emergency shelter, food banks, crisis intervention, child care, and other health and human service resources. Go to www.pa211sw.org, www.humanservices-countyofindiana.org, or www.uwindianacounty.org for more information.
• Discover Relaxation Within I and II are four-week lifestyle improvement programs promoting wellness through stress management. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• First Step Joint Replacement Education is for patients anticipating a hip or knee replacement surgery at Excela Health. This orientation program should be scheduled as close to the surgery date as possible. Morning or evening sessions are available monthly on a rotating basis. For more information, call Excela Health at (724) 689-0100.
• Healthy Moves is a supervised, structured exercise program for inactive adults or those at risk for health problems. Adults who wish to improve their fitness level are invited. For information, call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Introduction to Disaster classes teach how American Red Cross fits in when there is a disaster and how you can help your community. For more information, call the Indiana chapter at (724) 465-5678.
• Look Good ... Feel Better is The American Cancer Society’s free program that teaches beauty techniques to female cancer patients in active treatment to help them combat the appearance-related side affects of cancer treatment. Held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at IRMC-Chestnut Ridge, Blairsville. Call (800) 227-2345 or visit www.cancer.org for more information.
• Ornish Advantage/Spectrum helps to prevent heart disease and improve health with a six-week program focusing on nutrition, stress management, exercise, nutrition and group support. For dates and times, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Parent-Infant Massage is offered the first and third Fridays of every month from 5 to 6 p.m. through IRMC for moms, dads, babies and toddlers. Parents will learn the art of infant massage and will be guided through instruction on how to massage their own babies. Buy five classes for $20 and get one free. For more information, call (724) 357-7075.
• Smoke Free For Life classes are offered at IRMC. Call for next session dates. Key topics covered in both sessions include understanding the habit, developing a plan to quit and maintenance strategies. The classes are free courtesy of the Armstrong-Indiana-Clarion Drug and Alcohol Commission. For more information or to register, please contact Betsee Beunier at firstname.lastname@example.org or (724) 354-2746 ext. 318.
• Yoga for Men teaches how practicing yoga has been shown to help with relaxation to help men be healthier in body, mind and spirit. Classes are at 7 p.m. Wednesdays at IRMC. For more information, call (724) 357-8088.
• Hoss’s Community Day to benefit Family Promise of Indiana County will be held Oct. 20. Eat at Hoss’s Steak and Sea House, White Township, any time on the 20th and a percentage of the cost of your meal will be donated to Family Promise. For more information or to get your tickets, call (724) 464-5200.
• The Second annual Hawk Rock, a 24-hour dance-a-thon, will be held from 10 a.m. Saturday to 10 a.m. Oct. 20. This is an IUP student initiative to give back to the Indiana County Community, benefiting Community Kitchen, Family Promise of Indiana County and Indiana County Community Action Program. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/hawkrock.
• Adoption Support, Catholic Charities, provides meetings based on need. For information, call (724) 463-8806.
• Cancer Support Group, (724) 248-1814; The Phoenix Support Group meets every Thursday, call for location.
• Compassionate Friends, a support group for bereaved parents, meets Tuesday from 7:30 to 9 p.m. at Harrold Zion Lutheran Church, Hempfield Twp., Westmoreland County. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Crohn’s and Colitis Support Group is available through Excela Health. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Community Psychiatric Centers Parent Support Group offers speakers on autism, ADHD, behavior, dyslexia and depression one Monday per month in Blairsville. Register at (724) 850-7200.
• Diabetes Support Group provides a dietitian and clinical nurse specialists to help people with diabetes develop and practice self-management. Call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Epilepsy Education and Support is available for parents of children diagnosed with Epilepsy. For more information, call (800) 361-5885 in Pittsburgh, (814) 262-7494 in Johnstown, or the Excela Health Call Center at (877) 771-1234.
• Grandparents as Parents provides information and support to family members who are actively involved in the lives of others’ children through ARIN IU 28. The group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 22 at Aging Services Inc. Community Center. Child care is available. For information, call Andrea at (724) 463-5300, ext. 1235.
• ICD Support Group is for those with an implantable cardiac defibrillator and their support people. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Insulin Pump Therapy Support Group is held quarterly at Excela Health Latrobe Hospital. Call (877) 771-1234 for more information.
• Mothers of Preschoolers, or MOPS, provides Christian-based groups with opportunities to make friends with other moms and share encouragement and practical tips for surviving the preschool years. For mothers of preschoolers from birth to age 5 and expectant mothers. Groups meet as follows:
— Blairsville Free Methodist Church, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., first and third Wednesday, with a $25 registration fee for MOPS International (scholarships available).
For more information, call (724) 459-5255.
— Blairsville Christian Missionary Alliance Church, 7 to 8:30 p.m. second Monday, child care provided, (724) 668-7056.
— First Assembly of God Church, Indiana, 9:30 a.m., second and fourth Wednesdays, (724) 349-8180.
• Moms and Babes support and play group meets from 10 to 11:30 a.m. every Wednesday at IRMC Outpatient Building, classrooms A&B. Registration is not required. For information, call (724) 357-7496.
• One Stitch at a Time, a knitting and sharing hour, will be offered Tuesday at IRMC’s Women’s Imaging Center Library at 10 a.m. This hour is for women in cancer treatment or those who are moving beyond cancer. Call (724) 357-8081.
• Nurturing Parent Program, through the Child Advocacy and Relationship Enhancing Center, Indiana, provides general information on child discipline, nurturing, child development, parents of teens support and nurturing oneself as a parent. For dates and times, call (724) 463-8595.
• Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the HealthSouth Harmarville Rehabilitation Hospital.
For more information, call (412) 828-1300.
• Weight Watchers provides information on weight loss for a fee. For more information, call (800) 651-6000 or visit www.weightwatchers.com.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment.
Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowserfh.com.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg.
Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death.
The group meets at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email email@example.com or visit www.grasphelp.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them.
Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall.
Registration is not necessary and participants may join at any time in the series.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families.
Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center.
Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died.
Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment.
For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month.
For more information, call (724) 349-2000.
• Survivors of Suicide Group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Neuropsychiatric Associates Inc., IRMC Complex, Medical Arts Building, Suite 2200, Indiana.
Gather together with others who understand the impact a death of suicide can have. Cost is $30.
Initial intake at Neuropsychiatric Associates for possible insurance coverage. Call for more information, (724) 464-0270.