Did you know volunteer work is real work? Volunteer service can enhance a resume.
Not looking for employment? Retired? Looking to change career fields? Want to give back to your community? Or just love volunteering?
Indiana County has numerous opportunities for adults to volunteer. Where does your interest lie?
• Four Footed Friends can use your help with animal care and walking dogs and as a foster parent. (724) 349-1144.
• Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to bathe, groom and walk animals. (724) 465-7387/3977.
• American Red Cross needs help with front desk/clerical support. For more information, call (724) 465-5678.
• Community Guidance Center needs volunteers to file and do data entry. Contact Julie Ruzbacki at (724) 465-5576, ext. 128.
• Four Footed Friends is looking for a volunteer receptionist. (724) 349-1144.
• Indiana County Community Action Program (ICCAP) needs volunteers to answer the phones, type and do filing. (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555.
• Indiana County Humane Society can use assistance with filing, mailing and answering the phone. (724) 465-7387/3977.
• Torrance State Hospital is in need of clerical support in the Volunteer and Employee Health offices. Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.
• The American Red Cross needs disaster action team caseworkers and health and safety instructors. (724) 465-5678.
• Indiana County Health & Human Services is looking for volunteers to assist in an emergency or disaster. Register at www.servpa.state.pa.us or call (724) 463-8200, ext.13.
• ARIN needs tutors to work with adults to improve basic math and reading skills in preparation for the GED and for the English as a Second Language Program. (724) 463-5300, ext. 2319.
• Indiana Free Library needs volunteers to reshelve books from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Contact John Swanson at (724) 465-8841.
• Torrance State Hospital needs library aides, GED and literacy tutors, and tutors in basic computer skills. Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.
• The Salvation Army needs volunteers to tutor students. For more information, call (724) 465-2530.
• Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County is looking for a library volunteer. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
MEDICAL/SOCIAL WORK/ CHILD CARE
• accessAbilities Inc. is looking for volunteers who can make crafts, play cards or board games, read and do small home repairs for their consumers. (724) 465-6042.
• Aging Services Inc. is looking for volunteers who can help with group activities, crafts, reading, music and card games and provide one-on-one visits. Contact Jim McQuown at (724) 349-4500.
• Alice Paul House is looking for volunteers for its 80-hour training. Upon completion, volunteers will be certified to offer crisis intervention, support and information to victims of domestic and sexual assault violence, both inside and outside the shelter. Volunteers also staff a 24-hour hotline. Contact Melodee Gett at (724) 349-5744.
• CareNet, a service of the Visiting Nurse Association, is looking for volunteers who would like to make a difference in the lives of the elderly and disabled in the community by providing friendly visits, transportation and shopping assistance. Those interested may contact Lisa Davis, volunteer coordinator, at (724) 463-6340.
• Aging Services Inc. is looking for ombudsman volunteers with two hours of free time a month to help ensure the quality of life and care of long-term care residents. Call (724) 349-4500 for more information.
• Aging Services Inc. is looking for APPRISE volunteers to assist older adults with services and information on health insurance benefits, Medicare and Medicaid eligibility, claims filing, benefits counseling, telephone assistance, consumer protection, referral to other resources and advocacy. Call (724) 349-4500.
• Communities at Indian Haven needs volunteers to assist residents with wheelchair transportation, help residents with activities, provide religious services, prep residents for outings; bring appropriate pets to visit, share craft ideas/skills and participate in the adopt-a-grandparent program. (724) 465-3900
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of VNA Family Hospice, needs peer support group facilitators, family greeters and food servers. For more information, contact Diane Giever at (724) 349-3888.
• Indiana County Community Action Program needs mentors and child care providers for its shelter. (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555
• Moorehead House needs volunteers who can help with group activities, bingo, crafts, games, exercise, etc. Contact Anna Bernard at (724) 465-9606.
• VNA Family Hospice needs volunteers to assist with grief support, to provide companionship for patients and their families, to provide respite relief, to run errands for families and other activities. Contact Mary Edith Cicola at (724) 463-8711.
• Aging Services Inc. needs volunteers to help with water monitoring. Participants need to be outdoor types who like being near a stream in the woods, can go out two times a month for one to three hours each day in various weather conditions, and be able to hike up to 1/2 mile from the road and occasionally step into a stream. For more information, call (724) 349-4564
• Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County is looking for lawn maintenance volunteers. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
• Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County could use a Web assistant. For details, contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
• ICCAP needs volunteers at its food warehouse from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. For details, call (724) 463-7440
• Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to assist with grant writing and publicity. (724) 465-7387/3977
• accessAbilities needs volunteers to assist with projects and special events. Call (724) 465-6042 for details.
• The American Red Cross needs walkers, greeters and canteen workers for its blood drives. To volunteer, call (724) 465-5678.
• Communities at Indian Haven needs assistance with bingo (Wednesday/Saturday) and religious services (Sunday evening). Call (724) 465-3900 for more information.
• Four Footed Friends needs special event volunteers. Call (724) 349-1144 for details.
• Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to assist with the county fair, school presentations and fundraising. Call (724) 465-7387/3977 for details.
• Historical & Genealogical Society is in the need of a collections assistant, volunteer coordinator and special events volunteer. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
• The Salvation Army needs volunteers to help sort/bag/tag gifts for the Treasures for Children Program in December and Kettle volunteers in November and December. For more information, call (724) 465-2530.
• Torrance State Hospital needs volunteers for special events (picnic, auction, holiday events). Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.
SENIOR CORPS is a national volunteer organization. It provides volunteers age 55 and over with volunteer opportunities in nonprofit agencies. Benefits include accident, personal liability and access to automobile insurance while volunteering. Contact Janeen Love at (800) 648-3381, ext. 236, or email@example.com for more information.