BLAIRSVILLE-SALTSBURG: Board OKs air conditioning replacement
BURRELL TOWNSHIP — The Blairsville-Saltsburg school board accepted a bid to replace the air conditioning unit at the Blairsville Middle/High school auditorium at Wednesday’s meeting.
Mervac Plumbing and Heating Inc., of Windber, will replace the system at a cost of $187,200.
Other work approved Wednesday was the replacement of steel entry doors on the Saltsburg campus. Clark A. Buskey Home Improvement, of White Oak, will replace the doors for $7,300.
Installation of steel doors with safety glass at Saltsburg Elementary School will be at a cost of $8,200.
Board members also discussed the possibility of constructing a building for storage on the Saltsburg campus.
Rick Harper, of the building and grounds committee, said the architect’s estimate of $300,000 is too expensive to consider. The building would be a two-bay garage with a storage area.
Linda Brown said the building is necessary to remove “eyesore trailers” that are used for storage on the property.
The committee plans to continue to look at options for a building.
In other business, the board:
• Will participate with other school districts served by the Armstrong-Indiana Intermediate Unit 28 to publish the mandatory special education notice at a cost no more than $140.
• Approved the following field trips at no cost to the district: Blairsville Middle/ High School marching band, Kennywood Fall Fantasy Parade, Saturday, and to the Indiana County Fair, Tuesday; Saltsburg Elementary School fifth grade to Fort Necessity Battlefield, Sept. 29, and Fort Ligonier, Oct. 9; and SES kindergarten, Kerber’s Dairy Farm for pumpkin picking, Oct. 16.
• Approved the following supplemental positions for the 2014-15 year: Brian Wolfe, BMHS junior high band director and choral director and high school band director and choral director; and Jayson Banner, BSSD boys’ soccer, assistant coach. The board also approved the resignations of Amanda Anderson as BMHS yearbook adviser and John Humphrey as BSSD boys’ soccer assistant coach.
• Approved the following volunteers: Tim Dunlap and Dan Joyce, Saltsburg Middle/High School football; Aaron Jones, BSSD girls’ soccer; Amy Hoak, SMHS band front; and Kara Petro, SMHS band front.
• Hired Rebecca Smith as a long-term substitute science teacher, from Friday through the first semester, for $20,000 and no additional benefits.
• Hired teacher Brian Wolfe at a salary of $46,000 with an official hire date of Friday.
• Hired Debbie Chicka as a cafeteria aide at SES starting Wednesday.
• Approved a leave of absence for Mark Freeman, SMHS teacher, for four days beginning about Oct. 13.
• Designated district principals as truancy officers who are authorized to issue summary citations for students absent more than three days unlawfully, or for those in possession of tobacco products on school property.
• Appointed Mary Whitfield and Anthony “Tim” Canzano as voting delegates at the annual PSBA Leadership conference in October.