BLAIRSVILLE-SALTSBURG: Board reorganizes, retains president
The Blairsville-Saltsburg school board reorganized at a special meeting Wednesday, retaining its current president and vice president.
B. Edward Smith will remain as board president and George Rowley as vice president. Smith has served as president since 2010.
Rowley had been nominated as president but refused, said board member Beverly Caranese.
Smith was elected by vote of five, with himself and members Rowley, Tim Canzano, Holly Gibson and Rick Harper in favor.
Caranese and Linda Brown voted no, and Holly Hall and Whitfield abstained.
Also regarding reorganization, the board:
• Appointed the following PSBA liaisons, effective Jan. 1 to Dec. 31: Mary Whitfield, and Anthony Canzano as alternate.
• Appointed the following voting delegates to the Tax Collection Committee: Smith, primary voting delegate; George Rowley, first alternate; and Eric Kocsis, second alternate.
• Appointed Smith as representative and Anthony Canzano as alternate to the ICTC board of directors.
• Set the meeting schedule for 2014. Meetings will be held at 7 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month, with the exception of December, which will be Dec. 3 for reorganization.
In other business at the regular meeting, the board:
• Approved a subscription with AirWatch for filtering and device management services though June 30, with a cost not to exceed $5,820.
• Approved an agreement with ARIN IU 28 for Regional Wide Area Network, Internet and other related services for five years from July 1 to June 20, 2019.
• Approved an agreement with NHS School for services for children with autism or emotional disturbances until July 31.
• Approved for a maximum of eight staff members to present at the PA Educational Technology Expo and Conference Feb. 10 to 12, with cost supported by grant and curriculum funds.
• Will allow Kathy Himes to attend the annual Pennsylvania Association of Education Office Professionals from April 30 to May 2 in Harrisburg for $845.
• Approved a field trip for SES fourth grade to PNC Park May 7 at no cost to the district.
• Approved the resignation request and separation agreement with employee 1026.
• Approved the retirement of Yolanda McCloskey, BES librarian, effective Jan. 17. The district will advertise to fill the vacancy.
• Approved an expulsion agreement with two students, identified only as 76475 and 81567.