Indiana, PA - Indiana County

Clothes dryer causes fire

by By The Indiana Gazette on April 02, 2013 10:50 AM

A fire started Monday evening in an overloaded clothes dryer in the laundry room at Essex House Apartments, 1302 Oakland Ave., destroying two dryers and filling the basement with smoke, fire officials reported.

The Indiana fire department answered a general alarm call at 11:57 p.m., and the Coral-Graceton fire

department sent its air-supply unit shortly after midnight.

Firefighters worked until 2 a.m., making sure the fire hadn’t spread and venting smoke from the building, said Indiana Fire Chief Charles R. Kelly.

No one was reported to be injured.

The property management company, The Apartment Store, will need to replace the appliances and several doors in the basement.

While fire damage was confined to the overheated dryer and one next to it, firefighters had to break into several apartments to make sure all tenants had been accounted for in the smoke-filled basement, Kelly said.

Next Article
NCAA BASKETBALL: Pitt fires coach Berenato
April 02, 2013 10:40 AM
Related Articles
Comments
Disclaimer: Copyright © 2014 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.