IUP journalism students leading visioning project
Five Indiana county journalism students at Indiana University of Pennsylvania are leading IUP’s strategic visioning project through a journalism class taught by Dr. Michele Papakie.
These students are part of a Public Relations Presentation Making course that will facilitate focus groups with constituents invested in the future of IUP. They will work with students, faculty and staff members, administrators, alumni, community leaders and business owners to explore perceptions of IUP and learn how the university can capitalize on its strengths and opportunities while diminishing weaknesses and threats.
Once collected, this information will be presented to IUP President Dr. Michael Driscoll and used in the creation of a new strategic vision for the university.
The student participants are as follows:
• Tia Kordell, of Indiana, daughter of Cindi and Damian Kordell and a 2010 graduate of Indiana Area High School. An environmental biology and journalism major at IUP, she is a dean’s list student and president of the Environmentally Conscious Organization. She is also vice president of administration for the Ambassadors, IUP’s student alumni association, and a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. She is a participant in the American Cancer Society’s annual Relay for Life and an alter server at Saint Thomas More University Parish.
• Brittany Madera, of Dixonville, daughter of Charles and Vivian Madera of Irishtown and a 2009 graduate of Curwensville Area High School. A dean’s list student, Madera is a contributing writer for IUP’s student newspaper, The Penn.
• Caleb Murphy, of Indiana, son of Mary Murphy and a 2008 graduate of the Indiana Area School District. He is a member of IUP Alive, a campus Christian outreach organization.
• Shawna McCutcheon, of Brush Valley, daughter of Kathleen P. Schrecongost of Shelocta and the late Danny Johnston. A dean’s list student, McCutcheon received a Virginia Deem journalism scholarship in 2012 and was inducted this year into the Delta Alpha Pi international honor society.
• Katie Lee Trenney, of Indiana, daughter of Ron and Amy Trenney and a 2010 graduate of Indiana Area Senior High School. Trenney serves as vice president of special events for the IUP Ambassadors, the university’s alumni relations organization. She is also a member of Dance Explosion and a student worker in the Office of University Events.