Mining town given peaceful name
The town of Arcadia in Montgomery Township along Route 286 was founded by the Pennsylvania Coal & Coke Co. in 1900 with a post office opening on March 15, 1902.
The name Arcadia signified contentment and was given to this place for its pastoral location, according to county historian John Busovicki, of Clymer, who submitted this photo.
Its population in 1930 was 1,526. (Submitted photo)