Photo recalls century-old predecessor to Heilwood
By December of 1904, the Heilwood Co. had a charter to start mining coal in the Possum Glory area of Pine Township.
Possum Glory then became known as Heilwood, named for John Heisley Weaver, owner of the J.H. Weaver Coal Co. of Possom Glory. His “model town” of Heilwood was started with an initial capital investment of $100,000 and by 1906 had six mines in operation, producing around 112,000 tons of coal. He then sold out to the Penn Mary Coal Co.
Shown here is the power plant and the tipple of the Possum Glory Coal & Coke Co. No.1 mine.
Power for the town of Heilwood was produced by this power plant, according to county historian John Busovicki, of Clymer, who submitted this photo.