MLB BRIEFS: Jeter has another fracture
All winter long, Derek Jeter insisted he would be back by opening day. Now the goal is after the All-Star break.
The Yankees captain fractured his left ankle for a second time in six months, a blow to a New York team already reeling from injuries and one that raises long-term questions about the future of a shortstop who will be 39 when he returns.
“It’s not what we wanted, that’s for sure,” manager Joe Girardi after a 6-2, 12-inning loss to Arizona. “I know it’s extremely disappointing for him because he’s so used to being here with us.”
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Jeter should be able to resume his rehabilitation when the new crack heals, in about four to eight weeks. Cashman has repeatedly maintained the 13-time All-Star should be able to return at his previous level of play.
Jeter will not require surgery for the break, Cashman said after speaking with Dr. Robert Anderson, who operated on him last Oct. 20.
“He told me 95 percent of the people that have this, they come back from it fine. You just have to back off,” Cashman said.
“But it’s a setback, so it’s not a good situation,” he said.
Then again, the Yankees and Jeter repeatedly said his rehab was going well. And Jeter, whose range already has declined, turns 39 on June 26.
He was hurt last Oct. 13 in the AL championship series opener against Detroit. He was limited to five spring training games and 11 at-bats, and when the team left spring training he stayed behind for rehabilitation at New York’s minor league complex in Tampa, Fla.
After three straight days of workouts, Jeter went to Charlotte, N.C., and was examined Thursday by Anderson.
“They did a new CT scan which revealed a small crack in the area of the previous injury, so we have to back off and let that heal,” Cashman said. “This is obviously a setback. In terms of speculating on when we might see Derek back with us, we’d be looking at some time after the All-Star break.”
PADRES: San Diego President and CEO Tom Garfinkel has apologized to the Los Angeles Dodgers for comments he made about Zack Greinke the day after the pitcher’s left collarbone was broken in a brawl, including referencing the right-hander’s social-anxiety disorder.
A Padres spokeswoman says Garfinkel spoke with his Dodgers counterpart Stan Kasten on Wednesday night after learning that a recording of his talk to a group of season-ticket holders had been forwarded to Yahoo!
The spokeswoman said Garfinkel offered to speak with Greinke as well, but Kasten relayed the apology.
Garfinkel told the season-ticket holders that Greinke intentionally threw at Carlos Quentin on April 11 and that he should not have lowered his shoulder when the Padres slugger charged the mound.
Greinke’s left collarbone was broken and he’ll be out for two months.
“He threw at him on purpose, OK?” Garfinkel told an estimated crowd of 40 or 50 at Petco Park on Friday, a day after the fight.
“So that’s what happened. They can say 3-and-2 count, 2-1 game, no one does that. Zack Greinke is a different kind of guy. Anybody see ‘Rain Man’? He’s a very smart guy. He has social-anxiety disorder. He doesn’t interact well with his team. He doesn’t eat meals with his teammates. He spends his life studying how to get hitters out. … This is my opinion, and I can’t say it publicly, although I guess this is public, so please don’t tweet it out. We’re in the trust tree here, in the nest. He hit him on purpose. That’s what I believe.”
RED SOX: Boston designated hitter David Ortiz is expected to return to the Red Sox lineup when they open a home series Friday against Kansas City.
Ortiz hasn’t played this season because of an injured right Achilles, which limited him to 90 games in 2012.
He began a rehabilitation assignment last week and went 4 for 20, including a home run on Thursday.