Indiana, PA - Indiana County

Buffington Township man left homeless after fire

by The Indiana Gazette on November 25, 2013 10:55 AM

BUFFINGTON TOWNSHIP — A Buffington Township man was left homeless Sunday morning after a fire destroyed his South Factory Hollow Road residence.

According to Brush Valley Volunteer Fire Department Chief Ed Altemus, the fire at the mobile home spread quickly.

By the time firefighters arrived, there was nothing they could do, except to keep it from spreading to outbuildings on the property, Altemus said.

He said the fire was reported by the home’s resident, James Willett, who was home at the time. Altemus said Willett was alerted to the fire by the smell of smoke.

Altemus said the fire has been ruled an accident. He said it is believed to have been started by an electrical malfunction in a water heater.

In addition to Brush Valley, firefighters from Coral/Graceton, Cherryhill Township and Armagh & East Wheatfield Township were summoned. They remained at the scene for about 1 1/2 hours.

Altemus said the home was not insured.

Next Article
Senior Center supports Four Footed Friends
November 25, 2013 10:50 AM
Senior Center supports Four Footed Friends
Related Articles
Comments
Disclaimer: Copyright © 2014 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.