Farmer suffers burns in barn fire
WAYNE TOWNSHIP — An Armstrong County farmer suffered burns to his hands and arms while freeing livestock from a barn that caught fire late Friday morning.
According to Dayton District Volunteer Fire Department Chief Ken Greenawalt, the farmer, Denny Stockdale, was able to save the livestock in the barn, but the barn was destroyed.
Greenawalt said the fire at Stockdale’s beef farm was reported around 11:30 a.m. and spread quickly. By the time firefighters arrived, the barn already was engulfed in flames, he said. At that point, there was little they could do, he said, except work to save an attached pole barn that held cattle pens.
Greenawalt said the fire was fed by hay being stored in the barn.
“It was intense,” he said. “We couldn’t get as close as we needed to set up.
“I’d say that within an hour, the main barn was totally down.”
Firefighters, including those from Plumville, Rural Valley, Distant and Haw-thorn, remained at the scene throughout the afternoon, raking out smoldering hay and dousing it with water. The last of the crews left the scene around 7 p.m., Greenawalt said.
Firefighters were able to save the attached pole barn, Greenawalt said.
He said the fire is believed to have started on a skid steer loader, which was being worked on at the time. Stockdale was taken to ACHM Hospital in Kittanning, where he was treated and released, Greenawalt said.