IT'S HAPPENING HERE
All events in It’s Happening Here occur in Indiana unless otherwise noted.
Today, April 14
- “Fish Scales, Fish Tales,” a family fun program to learn about fish, will be held from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at Yellow Creek State Park’s environmental learning center in Penn Run. Bring your own T-shirt or buy one for $3, or make your print on paper. Registration is required. For more information or to register, call Mandy Smith at (724) 357-7913.
- “Hair: The American Tribal Love,” a rock musical, will be performed at 8 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP. The first great rock musical and a milestone in Broadway history, this highly decorated show is exuberant and open as young Americans in the 1960s search for meaning. For more information, call (724) 357-1313 or visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
- A Spaghetti Dinner will be held from 2 to 6:30 p.m. at St. Bernard of Clairvaux, 200 Clairvaux Drive, White Township, to benefit the family of Dove Bright. Dinner will include spaghetti, meatballs, salad, roll, drink and dessert. The first seating will be from 2 to 3:30 p.m., the second from 3:30 to 5 p.m. and the third from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Adult dinners are $9, children’s dinners are $5 and children 2 and under are free. For more information, call (724) 464-2210.
- The Spring Used Book Sale will be held from noon to 4 p.m. at the Indiana Free Library, 845 Philadelphia St. Hundreds of fiction and nonfiction books for adults and children, as well as movies, music and audiobooks will be available. All proceeds will go directly to support the library. For more information, visit www.indianafreelibrary.com.
- “Cheyenne Autumn” will be shown at 1 p.m. at the Jimmy Stewart Museum, 835 Philadelphia St. The movie stars Jimmy Stewart, Carroll Baker and Richard Widmark. For more information, visit www.jimmy.org.
Monday, April 15
- The IUP Saxophone Ensemble Recital will begin at 7 p.m. in Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall, IUP. The annual concert will feature performances by individual students. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
- A RADA cutlery fundraising party will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Mahoning Hills Social Center, 19298 Route 119 North. Come out and support the center and shop for gifts. Light refreshments will be available. For more information, call (724) 286-3099.
Wednesday, April 17
- The IUP Music Theater and Opera Workshops Showcase will begin at 8 p.m. in Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall, IUP. Workshop students will present “Star Power: Famous Songs and Arias of Broadway and Opera.” For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
Friday, April 19
- A Spring Fling Breakfast will be held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Two Lick Valley Social Center, 450 Franklin St., Clymer. The meal will include pancakes, sausage and beverages, and is open to the public. For more information, call (724) 254-9820.
- “Sean and Friends” will perform from 6 to 8 p.m. at The Artists Hand Gallery, 732 Philadelphia St. For more information, visit www.theartistshandgallery.com.
Saturday, April 20
- “How to Prune Your Plants,” with Penn State Master Gardeners Charlie Venturella and Dick Farabaugh, will demonstrate the basics and advanced techniques at 10 a.m. at the Yellow Creek State Park environmental learning center, Penn Run. The gardeners will also share ideas about having a successful garden. For more information, call (724)357-7913.
- Movie Night will be held at 7 p.m. at The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Indiana, White Township. Admission to view Oscar-winning “Lincoln” is free. The movie begins at 7:30 p.m. in the church sanctuary. For more information, call (724) 349-2776.
- “Why Are You Afraid of Your Digital Camera?” will be presented from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at The Artists’ Hand Gallery, 732 Philadelphia St. This is an adult photo workshop that costs $50. Half of the proceeds will benefit Friends of the Parks. For more information, visit www.theartistshandgallery.com.
April 20 and 21
- “Dear Brigitte” will be shown at 1 p.m. at the Jimmy Stewart Museum, 835 Philadelphia St. The movie stars Jimmy Stewart, Billy Mumy and Glynis Johns. For more information, visit www.jimmy.org.
- A Chicken and Holupki Dinner will be served from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Christ Our Savior Orthodox Church, at the corner of Tanoma Road and Route 286, Rayne Township. Dinners are $10 for adults, $3 for children ages 5 to 12 and free for children 4 and under. The public is welcome. For more information, call (724) 463-1535.
- Earth Day Spring Clean-Up will be held from 1 to 4 p.m., rain or shine, at Yellow Creek State Park. Meet at the North Shore Pavilion, 170 Route 259, Penn Run. Help is needed to upgrade trails, construct a playground, plant trees, upkeep the native species and herb gardens and help construct the stone walkways in the camping cottage and yurt area. For more information, call (724) 357-7913.
April 22 and 29
- An Open Acoustic Jam Session will be held from 10 a.m. to noon at the Mahoning Hills Social Center, on Route 119 south of Punxsutawney. It is open to the public and there is no admission charge. Breakfast will be available from 9:30 to 11 a.m. for $2, followed by lunch at noon. Should you want lunch, please call (724) 286-3099 for reservations.
- The IUP Trumpet Ensemble Recital will begin at 8 p.m. at Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall, IUP. Led by Kevin Eisensmith, the IUP Trumpet Ensemble performs a variety of works. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
- “Temptation of the Muses” will be presented at 8 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP. The world-renowned Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company joins with The Ahn Trio, one of classical music’s most innovative ensembles, in a mesmerizing display of beauty. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
- A “Welcome Spring” Breakfast will be held from 9 to 10 a.m. at the Saltsburg Social Center, 212 Point St., Saltsburg. Breakfast will include pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast and a cookie, and is open to the public. For more information, call (724) 639-9055.
- “Impact Wrestling Live” will be held at 7 p.m. at the Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex, 711 Pratt Drive. The event will feature Hulk Hogan. For tickets, visit www.comcasttix.com, visit the box office or call (800) 298-4200.
- Theater-by-the-Grove will present “Lysistrata” at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and at 2 p.m. Saturday on the Waller Hall Mainstage, IUP. Written by Aristophanes and directed by Jason Chimonides, “Lysistrata” is the comic account of one woman’s extraordinary mission to end the Peloponnesian War and win the battle of the sexes. Visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
- The Artists Hand Gallery will hold a poetry reading from 6 to 8 p.m. The gallery is located at 732 Philadelphia St. For more information, visit www.theartistshandgallery.com.
- A Karaoke Night and Evening Spaghetti Dinner will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Indiana Social Center, 1001 Oak St. Dinner includes spaghetti, meatballs, salad, garlic bread and dessert. Tickets ($5) must be purchased in advance by calling (724) 465-2697.
- A “Fairy Workshop” will be held at the Dillweed Bed and Breakfast, 7453 Route 403 South, Dilltown. Let Georgette Syster of Georgette’s Herbs coax your inner child and embrace this magical world of “wee folk and herbs.” Two fun, take-home projects are included. Admission is $60 for adults and $30 for children under 10 years of age, including lodging, breakfast, beverages and all workshop materials. Advance RSVP and payment are required. For more information or to RSVP, call (814) 446-6465 or visit www.dillweedinc.com.
- “Play It Again, Sam” will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and at 2:30 p.m. Sunday at the Philadelphia Street Playhouse, 725 Philadelphia St. Allan Felix has this thing about Humphrey Bogart. The New York Post has called this performance “hilarious— a cheerful romp, a funny, likeable comedy that has a surprising amount of wistful appeal.” For more information, visit www.indianaplayers.com.
- The IUP Jazz Ensemble, Jazz Band, and High School Honors Band Concert will be held at 7:30 p.m. in Fisher Auditorium, IUP. The performance will feature guest artist Joe Eckert on saxophone. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
- The Four Footed Friends Cash Bash will be held at 5 p.m. at the Indiana Eagles Club, 420 Philadelphia St. Tickets include food, beer and nonalcoholic beverages. The cost is $20 per person. For more information, call (724) 349-1144.
- Learn to paint like a master impressionist from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at The Artists Hand Gallery, 732 Philadelphia St. Instructor Alan Rauch, a professional New York City artist and graphic designer, will demonstrate the how-to of Impressionism painting in the style of Monet and Van Gogh. To register, visit indianapaartassociation.org. Indiana Art Association members can attend for $65, nonmembers for $85.
- “Shenandoah” will be shown at 1 p.m. at the Jimmy Stewart Museum, 835 Philadelphia Street. The movie stars Jimmy Stewart, Patrick Wayne and Katherine Ross. For more information, visit www.jimmy.org.
- “Butterflies and their Host Plants” will be presented by Friends of the Parks at 2 p.m. at Yellow Creek State Park’s environmental learning center, Penn Run. Marcy Cunkelman will share how to attract butterflies and moths to your yard. (724) 357-7913.
- The Hoodlebug Brass in Recital, a lively performance by IUP’s brass quintet-in-residence, will be held at 8 p.m. in Cogswell Hall, IUP. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
- The IUP Percussion Ensemble will perform under the direction of Michael Kingan at 8 p.m. in Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall, IUP. The concert will feature unique chamber compositions for percussion instruments. For more information, visit www.iup.edu/livelyarts.
Copyright © 2013 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.