Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• AARP Tax Aide Program provides tax form preparation and assistance for all taxpayers with moderate to low income. Taxes will be done by appointment only at Aging Service’s social centers. The next programs will be held 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at the Oak Place, 1055 Oak St., Indiana, (724) 349-4500; 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday at Two Lick Valley Social Center, 450 Franklin St., Clymer, (724) 254-9820; 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at Chestnut Hills Social Center, 26 Heybert Drive, Blairsville, (724) 459-5251; and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Saltsburg Social Center, 212 Point St., Saltsburg, (724) 639-9055.
• The Burrell Township Library will be offering story hour from 11 a.m. to noon on Tuesdays, with the next session on Tuesday. Ms. Roxie reads to children and leads them in songs that encourage learning while having fun.
• The Salvation Army offers Kids Supper Club every Tuesday. Join them for a meal, fellowship, activities and workshop; and Ark of Learning, free one-on-one tutoring sessions for children in grades K though 12 in most subjects. For more information, call (724) 465-2530.
• Attire to Aspire will be collecting Workwear. Attire to Aspire and the PA Workwear Program need your donations. The program is in need of gently used, modern, up-to-date spring/summer clothing for women. Women’s sizes 0 to 26, especially sizes 10 to 26, are needed, including business-casual slacks in black, navy and brown and business-casual top and blouses. The program is also in need of gently used or new closed-toe, low-heel/flat dress shoes in black and brown. Men’s sizes 32W to 36W business-casual slacks in black and khaki are needed. Bring items to the Department of Human Services at 300 Indian Springs Road, Suite 203. If you have any questions, call Maureen at (724) 463-8200, ext. 17.
• The Pennsylvania Department of Health is offering adult and child vaccines and immunizations free or for $5 per poverty guidelines on Monday. This is for an adult or child who does not have insurance or has insurance that does not cover the cost of the vaccine. Vaccines and immunizations include those for shingles, chickenpox, MMR, tetanus, meningitis, HPV, polio, pneumonia, hepatitis B, and hepatitis A. Free and confidential HIV and syphilis testing is also available. To schedule an appointment or for more information, call (724) 357-2995.
• Childbirth Preparation Series is a four-part series designed to prepare women at 32-36 weeks for giving birth. The class is offered four consecutive Tuesday evenings each month at Indiana Regional Medical Center. For information, call (724) 357-7496.
• Look Good ... Feel Better is The American Cancer Society’s free program that teaches beauty techniques to female cancer patients in active treatment to help them combat the appearance-related side affects of cancer treatment. Call (888) 227-5445 for more information, dates and times.
• Nutrition Therapy is a class for cancer patients to encourage healthy eating during treatment. Classes are held monthly at Arnold Palmer Pavilion. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771- 1234.
• Personal Nutrition Coaching is a personalized program designed by a registered dietitian to address the needs of an individual seeking nutrition counseling relating to weight management, heart health or diabetes. For more information or an appointment, call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Survey/Damage Assessment teaches how to make assessment of damage to homes and areas affected by disaster through American Red Cross. Disaster Services: An Overview should have been attended prior to this training. For more information, call (724) 465-5678.
• Your Changing Body for Boys addresses the emotional and physical changes of puberty for boys ages 9 to 12 and their parents. The class meets quarterly. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Your Changing Body for Girls is a workshop addressing the emotional and physical changes of puberty for girls ages 9 to 12 and their parents. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Epilepsy Education and Support is available for parents of children diagnosed with Epilepsy. For more information, call (800) 361-5885 in Pittsburgh, (814) 262-7494 in Johnstown, or the Excela Health Call Center at (877) 771-1234.
• A Breast Cancer Support Group, for individuals who have had breast cancer meets the last Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Call (724)357-8081 for location.
• Insulin Pump Therapy Support Group is six times per year at IRMC. Call (724) 357-7164 for more information.
• Living with Ostomy Education and Support meets quarterly at various times and locations. For information, call (877) 771-1234.
• La Leche League provides mother-to-mother information and support for those planning to breast-feed or are currently breast-feeding. The group meets at 10 a.m. the last Wednesday of the month in the IRMC Outpatient Building, classrooms A&B. For information or 24-hour support, call (724) 463-4661.
• Men’s Anger Group, Catholic Charities, meets in Greensburg. A registration screening is required. For more information, call (724) 463-8806 or (866) 409-6455.
• Mothers of Preschoolers, or MOPS, provides Christian-based groups with opportunities to make friends with other moms and share encouragement and practical tips for surviving the preschool years. For mothers of preschoolers from birth to age 5 and expectant mothers. Groups meet at the Summit Church, Indiana, 9:15 a.m. second and fourth Wednesdays, (724) 349-8180.
• Myasthenia Gravis Association offers monthly, face-to-face support group meetings. Call for the schedule at (412) 566-1545 or visit the message board at www.mgawpa.org.
• Narcotics Anonymous meets from 7 to 8 p.m. Sundays at Excela Heath Westmoreland Hospital and from 8 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays at Excela Health Frick Hospital.
• National Alzheimer’s Association Greater PA Chapter provides referrals to meetings, services and agencies. For more information, call (800) 272-3900.
• Parents of children with asthma can find information and support through Healthy Lungs PA at (800) 220-1990.
• Reach to Recovery is for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to receive support, information and resources through visits and conversations with trained breast cancer survivors. Call (800) 227-2345.
• Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Center for Independent Living of South Central PA, Altoona. For more information, call (800) 237-9009.
• Stroke Education and Support Group meets through Excela Health. This group is for individuals and families who have had a stroke and provides information on living with a stroke, lifestyle changes and care options. Registration is required. For information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Trauma Services Caregiver Support Group will be held at Family Behavioral Resources Indiana Clinic every fourth Monday of the month. Do you know a child who demonstrates challenging behaviors? Are the child’s family members struggling with feelings of frustration regarding caring for this child? Does this child have a history of out-of-home placements, trauma, abuse or neglect? This group is designed for parents, caregivers and foster parents of children who have experienced loss, out-of-home placement, adoption or other emotionally charged events.
Register with Katie Stormer at (724) 465-0369 or email@example.com.
• The Evergreen Boys and Girls Club’s Ruby Tuesday’s Community Give Back program will be held Thursday. Fliers can be picked up from the Boys and Girls Club and presented to your Ruby Tuesday’s server to donate 20 percent of your purchase to the agency. For the flier and more information, visit www.evergreenbgc.org.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment.
Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowserfh.com.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg.
Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death.
The group meets at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.grasphelp.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them. Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the church library. Registration is not necessary and participants may join at any time in the series. Call (724) 349-5556 for the date of the next session.
Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall.
Registration is not necessary and participants may join at any time in the series.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families.
Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center.
Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died.
Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment.
For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month. For more information, call (724) 349-2000.