Indiana, PA - Indiana County

Flaming ball blamed for blaze

on October 13, 2013 1:40 AM

BLOOMSBURG (AP) — Fire officials blame a flaming beer-pong ball for starting a fire inside a college student’s apartment in Bloomsburg.

The Press Enterprise of Bloomsburg reported the student was using a lighter to pop a dent out of the ball Friday afternoon when he dropped it. The student and his roommate tried to stomp on the ball to extinguish but it rolled under a bed, setting the bed on fire.

Deputy Fire Chief Scott McBride said the roommates tried to move the flaming mattress and box spring, then sprayed them with a fire extinguisher.

Firefighters doused the bedding and removed it from the building. No one was hurt.

Chief Bob Rupp said students elsewhere in the apartment building failed to leave despite blaring alarms and heavy smoke.

Next Article
Police: 5-year-old reported fake fires
October 13, 2013 1:35 AM
by
Related Articles
Comments
Disclaimer: Copyright © 2014 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.