HUMAN SERVICES CALENDAR
Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• The American Red Cross of Indiana County has a volunteer orientation scheduled for 5 p.m. the second Monday of the month to share the opportunities available for volunteers. This includes disaster services, blood services, office helpers and all other activities that they do for the county, including the Red Cross story. For more information, call (724) 465-5678.
• Creekside Area Food Pantry offers food for residents of Creekside, Ernest and Washington Township. The pantry is open from 10 a.m. to noon Thursday at Creekside United Methodist Church. For more information or an appointment, call (724) 463-6004.
• “It’s Dinner Time” will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Chevy Chase Community Center and provides healthy meals for children and their families as part of a New Youth Initiative; great meal, activities and an educational topic for the adults; May’s theme is “All about Mexico.” The Chevy Chase Community Action Council, Inc. is accepting donations of used prom gowns for their 2014 Cinderella Program; donations can be dropped off at the center at 640 North Fifth Street. Call (724) 463-0674 for more information.
• The Saltsburg Social Center’s 35th Anniversary and Open House will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. at 212 Point St., Saltsburg. Entertainment will be provided by Hiram and the Walkers. There will be snacks, refreshments and more. Dinner is at 5 p.m., which requires reservations before Friday; call (724) 639-9055.
• Your Changing Body for Boys addresses the emotional and physical changes of puberty for boys ages 9 to 12 and their parents. The class meets quarterly. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Your Changing Body for Girls is a workshop addressing the emotional and physical changes of puberty for girls ages 9 to 12 and their parents. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Managing Your Diabetes, IRMC, (724) 357-8088.
• Nutrition Therapy is a class for cancer patients to encourage healthy eating during treatment. Classes are held monthly at Arnold Palmer Pavilion. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771- 1234.
• Ornish Advantage/Spectrum helps to prevent heart disease and improve health with a six-week program focusing on nutrition, stress management, exercise, nutrition and group support. For dates and times, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Elder Abuse Awareness Rally begins at noon on June 12 on the Courthouse steps. June 15 is Elder Abuse Awareness Day. For more information, call (724) 465-3835.
• Relay for Life will be held Friday and Saturday at the White Township Recreation Complex. For more information, visit www.relayforlife.org.
• NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) of Indiana County General Meeting-education and advocacy will not be meeting May, June, July, or August; if you need help/support during that time, call Jim at (724) 479-8824
• Caregiver’s Support Group, a monthly support group for caregivers of people 60 years of age and older. Are you giving care to someone and would benefit from learning new tips, exchanging ideas, providing your expertise to others and giving emotional support to others? This group may be for you. Meetings are at 2 p.m. the last Wednesday of the month. For more information, call Rene at (724) 349-4500 or (800) 442-8016.
• Fibromyalgia Support Group will meet from 6:15 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Gam-Anon is offered from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Breast Cancer Support Group is for individuals who have had breast cancer. The group generally meets at 6:30 p.m. the last Thursday of the month. For more information, call (724) 357-8081.
• Insulin Pump Therapy Support Group is held quarterly at Excela Health Latrobe Hospital. Call (877) 771-1234 for more information.
• Keep on Dropping is a free weight management support group to keep those who have lost weight recently motivated and are on track to continue to lose. Join a team of coaches at 5:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month at the IRMC Women’s Imaging Center Library. For more information, call (724) 357-8088.
• Living with Diabetes is a recurring series that provides diabetes management information. Most insurance companies cover the costs. A physician referral is required. For more information, call Excela Health Diabetes Center at (724) 537-1066.
• Mothers of Preschoolers, or MOPS, provides Christian-based groups with opportunities to make friends with other moms and share encouragement and practical tips for surviving the preschool years. For mothers of preschoolers from birth to age 5 and expectant mothers. Groups meet as follows:
— Blairsville Free Methodist Church, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m., first and third Wednesday, with a $25 registration fee for MOPS International (scholarships available). For more information, call (724) 459-5255.
— Blairsville Christian Missionary Alliance Church, 7 to 8:30 p.m. second Monday, child care provided, (724) 668-7056.
— First Assembly of God Church, Indiana, 9:30 a.m., second and fourth Wednesdays, (724) 349-8180.
• Narcotics Anonymous meeting sites in Indiana County have recently changed. For referrals to meetings, services and activities, call (888) 251-2426.
• National Alzheimer’s Association Greater PA Chapter provides referrals to meetings, services and agencies. For more information, call (800) 272-3900.
• New Mom Moments is a series for pregnant and/or postpartum parents with babies younger than 1 year. To register, call (724) 357-7075.
• PFLAG, or Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, have local chapters of a national organization to provide safe dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity. The group seeks to replace negativity with accurate and positive information and support. For more information, contact the Indiana chapter at (724) 357-8309 or email pflagindiana@com cast.net.
• Parents of children with asthma can find information and support through American Respiratory Alliance of Western PA at (800) 220-1990.
• Parkinson’s Disease Support Group will meet from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Greensburg. or more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Reach to Recovery is for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients to receive support, information and resources through visits and conversations with trained breast cancer survivors. Call (800) 227-2345.
• Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Center for Independent Living of South Central PA in Altoona. For more information, call (800) 237-9009.
• Take Off Pounds Sensibly meets weekly on Thursday at the Clymer Methodist Church. Weigh-in is at 5:15 and the meeting begins at 5:45 p.m. Visit www.tops.org or call (724) 465-6389 for more information. At the Graystone Presbyterian Church, Indiana, meetings are held Mondays, with weigh-in at 5:30, meeting at 6:30 p.m. At Martin Hall in Tanoma, meetings are held Thursday, weigh-in at 4 p.m., 4:30 p.m. meeting.
• Trauma Services Caregiver Support Group will be held at Family Behavioral Resources Indiana Clinic every fourth Monday of the month. Do you know a child who demonstrates challenging behaviors? Are the child’s family members struggling with feelings of frustration regarding caring for this child? Does this child have a history of out-of-home placements, trauma, abuse or neglect? This group is designed for parents, caregivers and foster parents of children who have experienced loss, out-of-home placement, adoption or other emotionally charged events. Register with Katie Stormer at (724) 465-0369 or kstormer@family behavioral.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment.
Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowserfh. com.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg. Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death.
The group will begin in late February and will meet at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email skelly17839@ gmail.com or visit www.grasp help.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them.
Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall.
Registration is not necessary, and participants may join at any time in the series.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families.
Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• The Hepatitis C Education/Support Group meets the first Tuesday of each month at noon and the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at Arc Manor in Kittanning. This group provides information and support that you need to live with, get treatment for, or prevent exposure to Hepatitis C. For more information, call (724) 548-7607 or (800) 323-1333.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center.
Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died.
Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment.
For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month. For more information, call (724) 349-2000.
• Survivors of Suicide Group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Neuropsychiatric Associates Inc., IRMC Complex, Medical Arts Building, Suite 2200, Indiana. Gather together with others who understand the impact a death of suicide can have. Cost is $30. Initial intake at Neuropsychiatric Associates for possible insurance coverage.
Call for more information, (724) 464-0270.
• VNA Grief Support meets the third Tuesday of the month at 2:30 p.m. at VNA, 850 Hospital Road, Indiana. The group is open to all who are coping with grief and loss.
For more information, contact the Rev. Spiker at (724) 463-6340.