HUMAN SERVICES CALENDAR
Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• The Indiana County Department of Human Services and the United Way of Indiana County have partnered with PA 2-1-1 Southwest to bring a free human services helpline to Indiana County. County residents are now able to dial 2-1-1 and be connected with a live operator 24 hours a day, seven days a week, who can connect them with human services help. Please share this number with family and friends who may not be sure where to turn for help with such things as emergency shelter, food banks, crisis intervention, child care, and other health and human service resources. Go to www.pa211sw.org, www.humanservices-countyofindiana.org, or www.uwindianacounty.org for more information.
• Jacksonville Presbyterian Church Clothing Closet provides free clothing the last Saturday of the month. For more information, call (724) 726-8895 or (724) 479-8237.
• All About Baby is a three-hour workshop that focuses on getting to know your baby, along with visits to the doctor, immunizations, bath time, fussiness, safety, child care and infant nutrition. For more information, call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Aqua Aerobics helps tone muscles and strengthen the cardiovascular system. Classes are designed to allow participants to go at their own pace. Non-swimmers are welcome. For information, call (724) 463-9622.
• Big Brother/Big Sister Classes use puppets Molly and Sam to provide information for children ages 3 to 7 whose family is expecting a new baby. For more information, call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Clear the Air is a one-session program that can give you the tools you need to get prepared, take action, stay motivated and quit smoking for good. For more information, call Indiana Regional Medical Center at (724) 357-8088.
• CPR Review is available through American Red Cross, Indiana County Headquarters. For more information or to register, call (800) 733-2767 or online at www.redcross.org.
• Disaster Health Services Orientation, American Red Cross, Indiana County headquarters, teaches participants to organize and administer DHS function at the local level and to initiate a larger operation. For more information, call (724) 465-5678.
• Discover Relaxation Within I and II are four-week lifestyle improvement programs promoting wellness through stress management. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Evening Tai Chi is a six-week beginner Tai Chi class designed to teach basic Tai Chi form to seniors. Tai Chi reduces pain and improves mental status and physical well-being. The program cost is $30 and the next session begins at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Register by calling the IRMC Institute for Healthy Living, 2010 Shelly Drive, White Township, at (724) 357-8088.
• Heartsaver/AED is a program that teaches adult, infant and child CPR, AED use and what to do if someone is choking. The program is $35 through IRMC. Held from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. in IRMC’s Outpatient Building, classroom A&B. For more information, call (724) 357-8088.
• HOPE is a four-week lifestyle management program focusing on how to have stronger bones to live a longer, healthier life. The program provides an overview of osteoporosis, education on healthy nutrition, physical exercise, medication options, stress management and more. Begins at 10 a.m. July 29. IRMC at (724) 357-8088 for cost and date.
• Low Impact Exercise, through Aging Services Inc., is for people age 60 and older. Classes are conducted at five senior center locations by a trained instructor. You do not have to be a senior center participant to attend. For more information, call (724) 349-4500 or (800) 443-8016.
• Strong Women Strong Bones is a 10-week strength training course to help manage osteoporosis. The program includes a pre- and post-assessment and two days of strength training each week. For information, call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Six and eight week yoga classes in four different yoga styles are offered on a rotating basis at Excela Health Hospitals. Call for more information (877) 771-1234.
The First Annual Fire and Iron Station 93 Benefit Ride supporting The Back to School Bash Committee will begin at 11 a.m. July 27 at Stoneybank Restaurant in Clymer and will end at Rice’s Bar and Grill, Route 286 Highway East, Commodore. Costs $20 for a single and $35 for a double. For more information, call (724) 787-5572.
• Arthritis Aquatics Program is offered at various locations. For more information, call the Indiana County YMCA at (724) 463-9622, Arthritis Foundation at (800) 522-9900 or Laurel Highlands Health Center at (724) 357-9991.
• Bariatric Education and Support Group is for individuals contemplating or recovering from weight loss surgery. The group meets from 5:30 to 7 p.m. the last Wednesday of each month at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Connections by Choice, Catholic Charities, provides support and training for families with foster and adopted children including pre-adoptive, foreign and domestic adoptive families. Call (724) 463-8806.
• Fibromyalgia Support Group will meet from 6:15 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7, at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Gam-Anon is offered from 8 to 10 p.m. Monday at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Man to Man, held by the American Cancer Society, helps men facing prostate cancer receive support, information and resources by talking with trained prostate cancer survivors. Call for more information and to register at (724) 834-9081 ext. 65281.
• Mothers of Preschoolers, or MOPS, provides Christian-based groups with opportunities to make friends with other moms and share encouragement and practical tips for surviving the preschool years. For mothers of preschoolers from birth to age 5 and expectant mothers. Groups meet as follows:
— First Assembly of God Church, Indiana, 9:30 a.m., second and fourth Wednesdays, (724) 349-8180.
• Grandparents as Parents provides information and support to family members who are actively involved in the lives of others’ children through ARIN IU 28. The group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Aging Services Inc. Community Center. Child care is available. For information, call Andrea at (724) 463-5300, ext. 1235.
• Insulin Pump Therapy Support Group is six times per year at IRMC. Call (724) 357-7164 for more information.
• Moms and Babes support and play group meets from 10 to 11:30 a.m. every Wednesday at IRMC Outpatient Building, classrooms A&B. Registration is not required. For information, call (724) 357-7496.
• Nurturing Parent Program, through the Child Advocacy and Relationship Enhancing Center, Indiana, provides general information on child discipline, nurturing, child development, parents of teens support and nurturing oneself as a parent. For dates and times, call (724) 463-8595.
• Us Too Prostate Cancer Support Group meets from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Weight Watchers provides information on weight loss for a fee. For more information, call (800) 651-6000 or visit www.weightwatchers.com.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment.
Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowserfh.com.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg.
Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death.
The group meets at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email email@example.com or visit www.grasphelp.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them.
Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall.
Registration is not necessary and participants may join at any time in the series.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families.
Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center.
Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died.
Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment.
For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month.
For more information, call (724) 349-2000.
• Survivors of Suicide Group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Neuropsychiatric Associates Inc., IRMC Complex, Medical Arts Building, Suite 2200, Indiana.
Gather together with others who understand the impact a death of suicide can have. Cost is $30.
Initial intake at Neuropsychiatric Associates for possible insurance coverage.
Call for more information, (724) 464-0270.