INDIANA COUNTY HUMAN SERVICES CALENDAR
Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• The Indiana County Reality Tour will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Indiana County Jail. It is for youth ages 10 to 18, parents and community members. For more information, contact Jennifer McCroskey at firstname.lastname@example.org or (724) 354-2746, ext. 309, or Carrie Bence at email@example.com. The tour is free.
• The AARP Tax Aide Program provides tax form preparation and assistance for all taxpayers with moderate to low income. Taxes will be done by appointment only at Aging Service’s social centers. The next programs will be held 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Oak Place, 1055 Oak St., Indiana, (724) 349-4500; 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at Chestnut Hills Social Center, 26 Heybert Drive, Blairsville, (724) 459-5251; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday at Mahoning Hills Social Center, Route 119, south of Punxsutawney, (724) 286-3099; and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Saltsburg Social Center, 212 Point St., Saltsburg, (724) 639-9055.
• The Burrell Township Library will present a story hour from 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays in March. Join Ms. Roxie for stories, songs and activities for preschoolers. Caregivers must stay with their child and are encouraged to participate in songs and activities. The library is also holding a book sale beginning Tuesday. Donations are accepted.
• The Energy Conservation and Weatherization Project, offered by Community Action Partnership, Jefferson County, services eligible Indiana County residents. Information is available by calling (814) 938-3302 or (800) 648-3381, ext. 208.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania Food Security Partnership works to provide people and families with the resources necessary to live a hunger-free life, providing easy sign-ups and information regarding the SNAP (food stamp) program throughout all of Indiana County. For more information, call Amber, the Indiana County SNAP outreach coordinator, at (724) 219-9618.
• The Habitat for Humanity of Indiana County is currently accepting housing applications. Renovation of a property in Indiana will start very soon and a family for home ownership will be selected. For more information, visit www.habitatforindianacounty.org or call (724) 465-2657.
• Souper Friday is held at the Chevy Chase Community center every Friday from 1 a.m. to 1 p.m., 640 N. Fifth Ave., White Township. This is a feeding program to help families in need. There will be hot, healthy meals, education on nutrition and referrals to agencies. The soup kitchen is open from October to May. Donations are accepted.
• It’s Dinner Time is a free feeding program to meet the needs of low-income families, children ages 2 to 18 and their parents. Children and their parents enjoy a hot meal, socialization, educational opportunities and more. For more information and to register, call (724) 463-0674.
• The Salvation Army offers Kids Supper Club every Tuesday. Join them for a meal, fellowship, activities and workshop; and Ark of Learning, free one-on-one tutoring sessions for children in grades K though 12 in most subjects. For more information, call (724) 465-2530.
• Narcotics Anonymous meets 7 p.m. Sundays at Blairsville Free Methodist Church; 7 p.m. Sundays at Zion Lutheran Church, Indiana; 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Graystone Presbyterian Church, Indiana; 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Calvary Evangelical Church, Indiana; noon Wednesdays at Church of Christ, Indiana; 8 p.m. Fridays at Indiana Church of the Brethren; noon Saturdays at The Open Door, Indiana. Contact the helpline at (888) 251-2426.
• Adult Socialization Group is for adults with epilepsy through the Epilepsy Foundation of Western/ Central Pennsylvania. For more information, call the Pittsburgh office at (800) 361-5885.
• Advisory Board on Autism and Related Disorders Family Support Group, through Family Behavioral Resources, meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Airport Professional Center, Suite 524, 1380 Route 286 East, White Township. A social skills group meets in conjunction with the support group. Children of all ages and developmental skills are welcome. For more information or to register, call (724) 465-0369.
• Bariatric Education and Support Group is for individuals contemplating or recovering from weight loss surgery. The group meets from 5:30 to 7 p.m. the last Wednesday of each month at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Breast Cancer Support Groups are available through Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital at 6:30 p.m. every first Tuesday the hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Community Psychiatric Centers Parent Support Group offers speakers on autism, ADHD, behavior, dyslexia and depression one Monday per month in Blairsville. Register at (724) 850-7200.
• Diabetes Support Group provides a dietitian and clinical nurse specialists to help people with diabetes develop and practice self-management. Call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Fibromyalgia Support Group will meet from 6:15 to 7:30 p.m. at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• The Hearing Loss Association of Pennsylvania meets at 10 a.m. the third Saturday of the month at the DePaul School for Hearing and Speech, Pittsburgh. For more information, call (412) 767-9769.
• Hepatitis C Education/Support Group will meet Thursday at noon at The Open Door in Indiana. This group provides information and support that you need to live with, get treatment for, or prevent exposure to hepatitis. Thursday’s guest speaker will be Dr. Rob Groomes, ACMH Hospital.
• Indiana Area Celebrate Recovery, sponsored by the Harvest Anglican Church and the Homer City United Methodist Church, will be held at the Homer City United Methodist Church each Thursday from 6:15 to 9:30 p.m. At 6:15 p.m. there will be an optional light meal and fellowship for $4.50. At 7 p.m., the large group meeting begins, led by a pastor or a deacon. A newcomers meeting and open share groups will be offered at 8 p.m., and fellowship at 9. Child care is offered at no charge. The group is a recovery ministry based on biblical principles with a goal to let God work through individuals in providing his healing power through a Christ-centered 12-step program. Participants share their experiences, strengths and hopes with one another. Celebrate Recovery provides a safe place for individuals to start dealing with their life’s hurts, hang-ups and habits. Some examples of recovery issues are: codependency, chemical addiction, sexual addiction, eating disorders, anger issues, and depression and/or loss. Call (724) 599-6699, (724) 479-8682, or email PastorHAF@gmail.com or Harvest Anglican@gmail.com for more information.
• A Community Disability Awareness Work Group will be held at 8:30 a.m. Monday at the Arc of Indiana County, 120 N. Fifth St., Indiana. This is a group of community members working together to provide information about disabilities to members of our community, to help us get to know each other better and to make our community a better place for everyone. Call (724) 349-8230 for more information.
• The Indiana County Early Care and Education Committee will meet at noon, and the Children’s Advisory Commission of Indiana County will meet at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at ARIN IU#28, White Township. Call (724) 463-8200, ext. 18, for more information.
• The Armstrong-Indiana Drug Free Communities Coalition (DFCC) will meet 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the Armstrong-Indiana-Clarion Drug and Alcohol Commission in Shelocta. A free breakfast will be provided. Contact Jennifer McCroskey at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (724) 354-2746, ext. 309, for more information.
• The Community Support Program will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Indiana Borough Building, Indiana. Call Joe Budjos at (724) 349-3350 or (724) 548-3451 for more information.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment. Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowser fh.com.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg. Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death.
The group meets at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email email@example.com or visit www.grasphelp.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them. Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall. Registration is not necessary and participants may join at any time in the series. Call (724) 349-5556 for the next session.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families. Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center. Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died.
Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment. For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month. For more information, call (724) 349-2000.