Library lists week of free programs
The Indiana Free Library offers the following free programs for the week of Feb. 16:
• Scholastic Book Fair 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (Community Room)
• Rhythm and Rhyme, 10:30-11 a.m.: “She’ll Be Coming ’Round the Mountain” This program features reading, singing, finger plays and movement activities. Especially for children ages 2 to 4. (Children’s department)
• Toddler Tales, 10:30 a.m.: The Napping House. Especially for children ages 18 months to 3 years old. (Children’s department)
• Spring Gardening, 1 p.m. “The Trouble with Bats” Join Master Gardener Jim Woodard in a look at bats. Learn how they can be a gardener’s friend, and how to make simple bat houses to attract them. (Community Room)
• Skype 101: Learn how to connect with this revolutionary videoconferencing service. Sign up is required and space is limited. Ages 12 and up.
• Preschool Story Time, 10:30 a.m.: “Clarabelle’s Teeth.” Especially for children ages 3 to 5. (Children’s department)
• Knitting Club, 10:30 a.m. Learn to knit or improve skills in this new group that formed from the fall knitting class. Beginners welcome! Experienced knitter Celeste Capizzi will be on hand to teach and provide guidance. Experienced knitters, bring your current projects and join the fun. (Community Room)
• Storybook Artist, 6:30 p.m.: Virginia Lee Burton. When writing her award-winning book The Little House, Burton created the illustrations first, then wrote the text. To understand her illustrations, scenes of a little house experiencing seasonal changes will be drawn. Geared toward third- to fifth-graders. (Children’s department)
• Knitting in Patterns, 7 p.m. Take your knitting to the next level. Learn to knit in patterns in this four-week class for non-beginners who know the basics and can comfortably knit and purl. Experienced knitter Pat Simkins will teach a new knitting pattern each week. Bring your favorite sized needles and a skein of yarn. Space is limited.
• Book Babies, 10:30 a.m.: Everything Has a Place. For children from birth to 18 months. (Children’s department)
• Pins and Patches Quilting Group, 1-3 p.m.: Beginners and experienced quilters welcome. No experience necessary. (Community Room)
• Thursdays 101, 3 p.m. Learn how to download eBooks from the library. Make sure to bring your Kindle and the cords you use to connect it to the computer. Sign up at the front desk.
• Elementary-School Age Program, 11–11:30 a.m.: More Than Anything Else. In honor of Black History Month, we will read the true story of young Booker T. Washington. (Children’s department)
• Film Club, 2 p.m. “Captain Phillips.” (Community Room)
o o o
The Indiana Free Library is located at Ninth and Philadelphia streets. All programs are free and open to the public.
Visit www.indianafreelibrary.org for updates or call (724) 465-8841.