Volunteer opportunities abound
Did you know volunteer work is real work? Volunteer service can enhance a resume.
Not looking for employment? Retired? Looking to change career fields? Want to give back to your community? Or just love volunteering?
Indiana County has numerous opportunities for adults to volunteer. Where does your interest lie?
• Four Footed Friends can use your help with animal care, walking dogs and even as a foster parent. (724) 349-1144
• Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to bathe, groom and walk the animals. (724) 465-7387/3977
• American Red Cross needs help with front desk/clerical support. For more information, call (724) 465-5678.
• Community Guidance Center needs volunteers to file and do data entry. Contact Julie Ruzbacki at (724) 465-5576, ext. 128
• Four Footed Friends is looking for a volunteer receptionist. (724) 349-1144
• Indiana County Community Action Program (ICCAP) has a need for volunteers to answer the phones, type and do filing. (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555
• Indiana County Humane Society can use assistance with filing, mailing and answering the phone. (724) 465-7387/3977
• Torrance State Hospital is in need of clerical support in the Volunteer Office and Employee Health. Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.
The American Red Cross is looking for volunteers for the Disaster Action Team. Health and Safety instructors are also needed. (724) 465-5678
• ARIN has a need for tutors to work with adults to improve basic math and reading skills, in preparation for the GED. Also, tutors are needed for the English as a Second Language Program. (724) 463-5300, ext. 2319.
• Indiana Free Library needs volunteers to reshelve books from 3-5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Contact John Swanson at (724) 465-8841.
• Torrance State Hospital needs a library aide, or as a GED and literacy tutor. The hospital is also in need of tutors for basic computer skills. Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.
• Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County is looking for a library volunteer. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
MEDICAL/SOCIAL WORK/CHILD CARE
• accessAbilities Inc. is looking for volunteers who can provide companionship supports for their consumers such as making crafts, playing cards or board games, reading or doing small home repairs. (724) 465-6042.
• Aging Services Inc. is looking for volunteers who can help with group activities, crafts, reading, music and card games. Also to provide friendly one-on-one visits. Contact Jim McQuown at (724) 349-4500.
• Alice Paul House is looking for volunteers for their 80-hour training. Upon completion of training, volunteers will offer crisis intervention, support and information to victims of domestic and sexual assault violence, in and outside the shelter. Volunteers will also staff the 24-hour hotline. Contact Melodee Gett at (724) 349-5744.
• Aging Services Inc. is looking for ombudsman volunteers. If you have two hours of free time a month to help ensure the quality of life and care of long-term care residents, they need you. Call (724) 349-4500.
• Aging Services Inc. is looking for APPRISE Volunteers to assist the older adult with services and information on health insurance benefits, Medicare and Medicaid eligibility, claims filing, benefits counseling, telephone assistance, consumer protection, referral to other resources, and advocacy. Call (724) 349-4500.
• Communities at Indian Haven is in need of volunteers to assist with wheelchair transportation and assisting residents with activities and religious service; assist with prep and pushing wheelchairs on outings; bring appropriate pets to visit, share craft ideas/skills; and the adopt-a-grandparent program. (724) 465-3900
• Indiana County Community Action Program can use assistance in the shelter as a mentor or child care provider. (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555
• VNA Family Hospice needs volunteers to assist with grief support and companionship for patients and their family, respite relief and errands for families, and other activities. Contact Mary Edith Cicola at (724) 463-8711.
• CareNet, a service of the Visiting Nurse Association, is looking for volunteers who would like to make a difference in the lives of others. Volunteers provide friendly visits, transportation or shopping assistance to the elderly and disabled in the community. Those interested may contact Lisa Davis, volunteer coordinator, at (724) 463-6340.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of VNA family hospice, needs peer support group facilitators, family greeters and food servers. Contact Diane Giever at (724) 349-3888.
• Aging Services Inc. could use volunteers to help with water monitoring efforts. The project calls for volunteers who are outdoor types who like being near a stream in the woods. They will go out 2 times per month for one to three hours each day and must be able to hike up to 1/2 mile from the road and occasionally step into a stream. Should also be willing to go out in various weather conditions. For more information, call (724) 349-4564
• Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County is looking for lawn maintenance volunteers. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
• Evergreen Conservancy is looking for volunteer board members, environmental educators to teach children at the Tanoma AMD Wetlands Outdoor Classroom or at other locations; water monitoring duties such as installing water probes in streams, download data from data loggers, help with maintenance of data loggers and obtain water samples for testing.
For more information, call (724) 471-6020 or (724) 463-8138.
Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County could use a Web assistant.
For details contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
• Indiana County Community Action Program (ICCAP) can use your assistance in the food warehouse. For details, call (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555.
• The Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to assist with grant writing and publicity. For more information, call (724) 465-7387.
• accessAbilities is in need of volunteers to assist with 5K Run/Walk and a Murder Mystery dinner. For more information, call (724) 465-6042.
• The American Red Cross needs help with blood drives as a walker, greeter or canteen worker.
For more information call (724) 465-5678.
• Four Footed Friends needs special event volunteers. Call (724) 349-1144 for details.
• ICCAP can use help with Care and Share Day and other special events. For more information, call (724) 465-2657 or (724)248-9555.
• Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to assist with the county fair, school presentations, and fundraising. Call (724) 465-7387/3977 for details.
• Historical & Genealogical Society is in the need of a collections assistant, volunteer coordinator and special events volunteer.
Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.
• Torrance State Hospital needs assistance for special events (picnic, auction, holiday events) through the year. Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.
SENIOR CORPS is a national volunteer organization sponsored by CNS. Provides volunteers age 55 & over with volunteer opportunities in nonprofit agencies. Benefits include free accident, personal liability and access automobile insurance while volunteering.
Contact Janeen Love at (800) 648-3381 ext. 236 or email@example.com for more information.