The Indiana Art Association is offering exhibits of members’ artwork at the following locations:
• Ambulatory Building at IRMC, 835 Hospital Road, White Township. Works by Trish Dodson, Dayas Silvis, Pamela Stefanik and Joe Van Hannak can be viewed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Ambulatory Surgical Associates, 841 Hospital Road, White Township. Pieces by Liz Lickliter, Michelle Tuthill and Trish Dodson. Hours are Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Indiana County Chamber of Commerce, 1019 Philadelphia St., Indiana. Pieces by Julieann Knox and Candace Joseph. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• Urgi Care Facility at IRMC, 875 Hospital Road, White Township. Works by Laura Harmon, Colleen Wakefield, Karin Eller and Kasey Hagens. Pieces can be viewed Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The Artists Hand Gallery, 732 Philadelphia St., Indiana. Works by Glenn Himes. Gallery hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County presents new and ongoing exhibits:
• Rising To The Occasion: featuring the designs of Louise Welch, curated by Samantha Barna. This fashion exhibit features the gowns designed and made by Indiana County dressmaker Louise Welch. During the 1950s, Welch created beautiful formal gowns and dresses that were worn by her daughter Joan Welch McCreary and her friends for various events including proms and pageants. This exhibit portrays the skill and ability of one very talented individual as well as the fashions of this particular decade.
• Indiana County 16th Annual Open Arts Exhibit: The annual exhibit compiled in conjunction with the Indiana Art Association, showcasing works of art in various media made by local artists from student level to professional. This exhibit will be on display from the opening reception on Friday until Jan. 4.
• A Physician’s Equipment: a permanent exhibit showcasing the tools of the trade of one of Indiana County’s prominent physicians, Dr. Evans.
• The Indiana Chapter of the American Red Cross: artifacts and memorabilia from Indiana County women who served as members of the Red Cross.
• The Indiana County Memorial to the Veterans: a permanent, yet ever-evolving exhibit that details every military event that members of Indiana County have been involved in, from the Revolutionary War to the latest conflicts in the Middle East.
• Other permanent exhibits including A History of Coal Mining and the Lumber Industry in early Indiana County History.
Museum hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays; closed Sundays and Mondays. For information, call (724) 463-9600.
Visit the website at www.hgsic.com.
The University Museum of Indiana University of Pennsylvania opens the 2019-2020 season with “60s, 70s, 80s: Artist Legacy of IUP,” an exhibit of work by 11 IUP Art Department alumni from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
These artists have found success as painters, photographers, sculptors, potters, drafters and teachers.
The IUP community welcomes Jim Bright, Kathleen Kase Burk, Joy Biesinger Fairbanks, James Germaux, Cynthia Hutnyan, Bridget Mayak, Harold K. Miller Jr., Ron Pivovar, Renie Pollock, Patrick Ruane and John Skrabalak back to campus to celebrate their award-winning work.
The exhibit will be on display, with many works for sale, in the University Museum to Dec. 6.
The exhibit features multiple works by each artist that showcase their creativity and unique expressive visions.
The University Museum is on the first floor of Sutton Hall. University Museum hours are: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 2- 6:30 p.m.; Thursday, noon-7:30 p.m.; and Saturday, noon-4 p.m. The museum is closed Sunday, Monday and University holidays.
Kipp Gallery at IUP will present The Longing Ritual to Dec. 13. at Sprowls Hall, IUP. Hours are: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 2- 6:30 p.m.; Thursday, noon-7:30 p.m.; and Saturday, noon-4 p.m. The gallery is closed Sunday, Monday and University holidays.
The Artists Hand Gallery, 732 Philadelphia St., Indiana, presents It’s a Wonderful Life at The Artists Hand, featuring a reception and holiday gift-worthy artwork, in conjunction with the annual parade and festival downtown, from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday.
Gallery hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
For more information, visit theartistshandgallery.com.
The Jimmy Stewart Museum, 835 Philadelphia St., Indiana, will present the following movies on a daily basis at 1 p.m., changing weekly:
The schedule is:
• “The Making of It’s A Wonderful Life,” to be shown at 4:30 p.m., 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Friday, ahead of the annual holiday parade.
• It’s A Wonderful Life,” Saturday to Dec. 30
From today to Dec. 30, there will be an “It’s a Wonderful Life” exhibit with new items, memorabilia and behind-the-scene facts, as well as a Festival of Trees displayed through the museum that are decorated based on Stewart’s movies.
Museum admission: Members, free; adults, $9; seniors, military, students with ID, $8; children 7 to 17, $7; children younger than 7, free. Prices are subject to change. Movies are included with admission to the museum.
Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays.
Dancing Partners starts its fall season with an open-to-the-public, pay-as-you-go model. Dance to all the ballroom, Latin and modern rhythms, practice patterns or learn a new dance from others. Dances take place at Sharon’s School of Dance from 7 to 10 p.m. on the following evenings: Friday and Dec. 14. The cost is $6 per person at the door. For more information, call (724) 465-2128.
The Mountainview Square Dance Club dances every Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Blairsville High School cafeteria. All modern western square dancers are welcome. The club offers beginning dancing for anyone who would like to learn to square dance. For more information, call Jan at (724) 459-7434.
The Thunderbolts do A-1 and A-2 square dancing from 7 to 9:30 p.m. every Tuesday in the cafeteria of the Blairsville High School. All advanced dancers welcome. For more information, call Norm at (724) 388-1909.
The Indiana Players will present “Clue” at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 6, 7, 13 and 14 and 2:30 p.m. Dec. 8 and 15 at The Philadelphia Street Playhouse, downtown Indiana.
Tickets are available on the website at www.indianaplayers.com, by calling the theater at (724) 464-0725 or at the box office if not sold out.
Blairsville High School Theater Department will perform “A Game of Tiaras” at 7 p.m. Dec. 14 and 15 at the Blairsville High School Auditorium.
The Punxsutawney Theatre Guild will present the family holiday comedy “The Harmony Baptist Church Ladies’ Auxiliary Christmas Jubilee” at 7:30 p.m. today, Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the Punxsutawney Area Senior High School auditorium.
Tickets are sold at the door.
For more details, call the show’s director, Terry A. Fye, at (814) 938-6928.
The Lively Arts at IUP will present the following:
• “Rent,” 7 p.m. today, Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center
• The Swingles, 8 p.m. Dec. 10, Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall
For more information, call (724) 357-2787 (ARTS) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sound Choices series at IUP will present Broadway Extravaganza, 8 p.m. Dec. 5, at Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center. For more information, call (724) 357-2787 (ARTS) or email email@example.com.
The Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex will present Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Musical at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 3.
For more information, visit www.kovalchickcomplex.com.
“It’s a Wonderful Life” Festival Kickoff, Tree Lighting and Parade, Friday, downtown Indiana. Tree lighting at 6:15 p.m., family holiday activities including crafts, music, hayrides and more from 5 to 7 p.m. at IRMC Park, parade at 7 p.m.
First Commonwealth Bank “It’s a Wonderful Life” Festival, noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 3 p.m. Sundays through Dec. 15. Entertainment, visits with Santa and more.
Holiday Wheels and Thrills model train display, Indiana Mall, Fridays from 3 to 7 p.m., Saturdays from noon to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. through Dec. 15.