The Indiana Art Association is offering exhibits of members’ artwork at the following locations:
• Ambulatory Building at IRMC, 835 Hospital Road, White Township. Works by Trish Dodson, Dayas Silvis, Pamela Stefanik and Joe Van Hannak can be viewed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Ambulatory Surgical Associates, 841 Hospital Road, White Township. Pieces by Liz Lickliter, Michelle Tuthill and Trish Dodson. Hour are Monday through Friday 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Indiana County Chamber of Commerce, 1019 Philadelphia St., Indiana. Pieces by Julieann Knox and Candace Joseph. Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Urgi Care Facility at IRMC, 875 Hospital Road, White Township. Works by Laura Harmon, Colleen Wakefield, Karin Eller and Kasey Hagens. Pieces can be viewed Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The Artists Hand Gallery, 732 Philadelphia St., Indiana. Works by Glenn Himes. Gallery hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Historical and Genealogical Society of Indiana County presents new and ongoing exhibits:
• Vietnam Veterans Exhibit: an exhibit honoring those who served during the Vietnam War which includes memorabilia, maps and photos of Indiana County residents who took part in the conflict.
• A Physician’s Equipment: a permanent exhibit showcasing the tools of the trade of one of Indiana County’s prominent physicians, Dr. Evans.
• The Indiana Chapter of the American Red Cross: artifacts and memorabilia from Indiana County women who served as members of the Red Cross.
• The Indiana County Memorial to the Veterans: a permanent, yet ever-evolving exhibit which details every military event that members of Indiana County have been involved in, from the Revolutionary War to the latest conflicts in the Middle East.
• Other permanent exhibits including A History of Coal Mining and the Lumber Industry in early Indiana County History.
Museum hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays; closed Sundays and Mondays. For information, call (724) 463-9600.
Visit the website at www.hgsic.com.
The society will also offer its Autumn Victorian Ladies’ Tea: Enlightened Entertainments, from 2 to 4 p.m. Sept. 21. Cost is $20 for nonmembers and $15 for members. Call (724) 463-9600 to reserve a spot.
The University Museum of Indiana University of Pennsylvania opens the 2019-2020 season with “60s, 70s, 80s: Artist Legacy of IUP,” an exhibit of work by 11 IUP Art Department alumni from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
These artists have found success as painters, photographers, sculptors, potters, drafters and teachers.
The IUP community will welcome Jim Bright, Kathleen Kase Burk, Joy Biesinger Fairbanks, James Germaux, Cynthia Hutnyan, Bridget Mayak, Harold K. Miller Jr., Ron Pivovar, Renie Pollock, Patrick Ruane and John Skrabalak back to campus to celebrate their award-winning work.
The exhibit will be on display, with many works for sale, in the University Museum to Dec. 6.
The exhibit features multiple works by each artist that showcase their creativity and unique expressive visions.
The University Museum is on the first floor of Sutton Hall. University Museum hours are: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 2 to 6:30 p.m.; Thursday, noon to 7:30 p.m.; and Saturday, noon to 4 p.m. The museum is closed Sunday, Monday and University holidays.
Kipp Gallery at IUP presents “Devices for Filling a Void” through Sept. 27 at Sprowls Hall, IUP. Hours are: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 2 to 6:30 p.m.; Thursday, noon to 7:30 p.m.; and Saturday, noon to 4 p.m. The museum is closed Sunday, Monday and University holidays.
The Artists Hand Gallery, 732 Philadelphia St., Indiana, presents the following:
• Barista’s Choice Exhibition, through Saturday. A selection of artworks chosen by the baristas, including commentary on the selection.
• Fred Hummel Photography Show, “Doing Time,” from Tuesday to Oct. 19.
An opening reception is set for 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 20.
An exhibition of recent photography by Hummel that responds to his access to closed prisons, featuring Alcatraz.
• Halloween Show, Oct. 22 to Nov 9.
Curated by gallery owner Brian Jones, a celebration of the traditions at the end of October, with tricks and treats at the gallery from 5 to 7 p.m. Nov. 1.
• It’s a Wonderful Life at The Artists Hand, featuring a reception and holiday gift-worthy artwork, in conjunction with the annual parade and festival downtown, from 5 to 8 p.m. Nov. 22.
Gallery hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
For more information, visit theartistshandgallery.com.
The Jimmy Stewart Museum, 835 Philadelphia St., Indiana, will present the following movies on a daily basis at 1 p.m., changing weekly:
The schedule is:
• “Carbine Williams,” through Sunday
• “Winchester ’73,” Monday to Sept. 22
• “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,” Sept. 23 to 29
Museum admission: Members, free; adults, $9; seniors, military, students with ID, $8; children 7 to 17, $7; children younger than 7, free. Prices are subject to change. Movies are included with admission to the museum.
Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays.
On display through September at the museum is a Jimmy Stewart-themed Art Quilt Project. The seven quilts displayed are based on Stewart’s films and his life and were made by a local group Fiber Friends. Bid on each quilt, with 25 percent of the proceeds to be donated to the museum.
For more information, call (724) 349-6112 or go to www.jimmy.org.
Dancing Partners starts its fall season with an open-to-the-public, pay-as-you-go model. Dance to all the ballroom, Latin and modern rhythms, practice patterns or learn a new dance from others. Dances take place at Sharon’s School of Dance from 7 to 10 p.m. on the following evenings: Sept. 14 and 27; Oct. 12 and 25; Nov. 9 and 22; and Dec. 14. The cost is $6 per person at the door. For more information, call (724) 465-2128.
The Mountainview Square Dance Club dances every Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Blairsville High School cafeteria. All modern western square dancers are welcome. The club offers beginning dancing for anyone who would like to learn to square dance. For more information, call Jan at (724) 459-7434.
The Thunderbolts do A-1 and A-2 square dancing from 7 to 9:30 p.m. every Tuesday in the cafeteria of the Blairsville High School. All advanced dancers welcome. For more information, call Norm at (724) 388-1909.
The Indiana Players will present “The Good Doctor” at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sept. 20 and 21 and at 2:30 p.m. Sunday and Sept. 22 at The Philadelphia Street Playhouse, downtown Indiana.
Tickets are available on the website at www.indianaplayers.com, by calling the theater at (724) 464-0725 or at the box office if not sold out.
Theater-by-the-Grove at IUP will present the following:
• “Actually,” 7:30 p.m. Sept. 27 and 28 and Oct. 2 through 5 and 2 p.m. Sept. 29, Waller Hall Mainstage, IUP Performing Arts Center
• “The Awakening of Spring,” 7:30 p.m. Oct. 25 and 26 and Oct. 30 to Nov. 2 and 2 p.m. Oct. 27, Waller Hall Mainstage, IUP Performing Arts Center
Saltsburg Music Fest will be from 1 to 9 p.m. Saturday in Saltsburg. Seven bands are set to perform. The lineup is: Jimi B, Adam Fitz, Same Moon, Jasper Onyx, Crawdad Joe, Post Traumatik and Black Ridge. Parking and admission is free. Food will be available for sale.
The Lively Arts at IUP will present the following:
• Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, 8 p.m. Oct. 12, Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center
• Niyaz featuring Azam Ali, 8 p.m. Oct. 22, Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall
• “1984,” 8 p.m. Nov. 15, Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center
• “Rent,” 7 p.m. Nov. 21, Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center
• The Swingles, 8 p.m. Dec. 10, Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall
For more information, call (724) 357-2787 (ARTS) or email email@example.com.
The Sound Choices series at IUP will present the following:
• Birth of the Cool: A Tribute to Miles Davis, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 21, Gorell Recital Hall, Sutton Hall
• Broadway Extravaganza, 8 p.m. Dec. 5, Fisher Auditorium, IUP Performing Arts Center
For more information, call (724) 357-2787 (ARTS) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IUP Dance Theater will present “Stargazer” at 7 p.m. Nov. 15 and 16 and 2 p.m. Nov. 17, Zink Dance Studio, Zink Hall. For more information, call (724) 357-2787 (ARTS) or email email@example.com.
The Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex will present the following:
• Larry the Cable Guy, 8 p.m. Oct. 4
• Travis Tritt at 7 p.m. Nov. 10.
For more information, visit www.kovalchickcomplex.com.
The Indiana County Farmers’ Market is a producer-only market offering fresh, local vegetables, baked goods, meats, eggs, ferments, flour, fruits, honey, maple syrup, plants, flowers and more. SNAP and debit/credit cards are accepted on Saturdays. The market will be offered through October.
It is set up on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon at Eighth and Church streets, Indiana.
On Wednesdays, it runs from 3 to 5:30 p.m. across from the KCAC on Wayne Avenue.
More information is available at IndianaFarmMarket.Blogspot.com.