Indiana, PA - Indiana County

Agencies seek youth volunteers

on May 20, 2014 10:44 AM

Did you know volunteer work is real work? Volunteer service can enhance a resume.

Not looking for employment? Retired? Looking to change career fields? Want to give back to your community? Or just love volunteering?

Indiana County has numerous opportunities for adults to volunteer. Where does your interest lie?


• Four Footed Friends can use your help with animal care, walking dogs and as a foster parent. (724) 349-1144

• Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to bathe, groom and walk the animals. (724) 465-7387/3977


• American Red Cross needs help with front desk/clerical support. For more information, call (724) 465-5678.

• Community Guidance Center needs volunteers to file and do data entry. Contact Julie Ruzbacki at (724) 465-5576, ext. 128.

• Four Footed Friends is looking for a volunteer receptionist. (724) 349-1144

• Indiana County Community Action Program (ICCAP) needs volunteers to answer the phones, type and do filing. (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555

• Indiana County Humane Society can use assistance with filing, mailing and answering the phone. (724) 465-7387/3977


The American Red Cross is looking for volunteers for the Disaster Action Team Health and for safety instructors. (724) 465-5678


• ARIN has a need for tutors to work with adults to improve basic math and reading skills in preparation for the GED. Also, tutors are needed for the English as a Second Language Program. (724) 463-5300, ext. 2319

• Indiana Free Library needs volunteers to reshelve books from 3-5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Contact John Swanson at (724) 465-8841.

• Torrance State Hospital needs a library aide, GED and literacy tutors and computer tutors. Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.

• Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County is looking for a library volunteer. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.


• accessAbilities Inc. is looking for volunteers who can provide companionship for their consumers by making crafts, playing cards or board games, reading or doing small home repairs. (724) 465-6042

• Aging Services Inc. is looking for volunteers who can help with group activities such as crafts, reading, music and card games; and provide friendly one-on-one visits. Contact Jim McQuown at (724) 349-4500.

• Alice Paul House is looking for volunteers for their 80-hour training. Upon completion of training, volunteers will offer crisis intervention, support and information to victims of domestic and sexual assault violence, in and outside the shelter. Volunteers will also staff the 24-hour hotline. Contact Melodee Gett at (724) 349-5744.

• Aging Services Inc. is looking for ombudsman volunteers. If you have two hours of free time a month to help ensure the quality of life and care of long-term care residents, they need you. Call (724) 349-4500 for more information.

• Aging Services Inc. is looking for APPRISE volunteers to assist older adults with services and information on health insurance benefits, Medicare and Medicaid eligibility, claims filing, benefits counseling, telephone assistance, consumer protection, referral to other resources, and advocacy. Call (724) 349-4500.

• Communities at Indian Haven needs volunteers to assist residents in wheelchairs, assist residents with activities and religious services; bring appropriate pets to visit, share craft ideas/skills and join the adopt-a-grandparent program. (724) 465-3900

• Indiana County Community Action Program needs mentors and child care providers at its shelters. (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555

• The St. Vincent de Paul Society needs volunteers for their “Adopt and Elder” program, who will share at least 30 minutes of their time per month to visit an elderly person in a local nursing home or personal care home. Ongoing commitment is needed. For more information, contact Chuck Spadafora at (724) 801-6029.


• VNA Family Hospice needs volunteers to assist with grief support and companionship for patients and their families, respite relief, running errands for families and other activities. Contact Mary Edith Cicola at (724) 463-8711.

• CareNet, a service of the Visiting Nurse Association, is looking for volunteers to provide friendly visits, transportation or shopping assistance to the elderly and disabled in the community. Those interested may contact Lisa Davis, volunteer coordinator, at (724) 463-6340.

• Hopeful Hearts, a service of VNA family hospice, needs peer support group facilitators, family greeters and food servers. Contact Diane Giever at (724) 349-3888.


• Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County is looking for lawn maintenance volunteers. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.

• Evergreen Conservancy is looking for environmental educators to teach children at the Tanoma AMD Wetlands outdoor classroom and other locations; and water monitors to install water probes in streams, download data from data loggers, help with maintenance of data loggers and obtain water samples for testing. For more information, call (724) 471-6020 or (724) 463-8138.


Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County could use a Web assistant. For details, contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.


• Indiana County Community Action Program (ICCAP) can use your assistance in the food warehouse. For details, call (724) 465-2657 or (724) 248-9555.

• The Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to assist with grant writing and publicity. For more information, call (724) 465-7387.

• Evergreen Conservancy is looking for volunteer board members, specifically a treasurer, who will attend board meetings the first Thursday of every other month and committee meetings (the opposite month), and work with their accounts-track day to day expenditures and revenues, chair the finance committee, etc. (724-471-6020 or 724-463-8138.

• The St. Vincent de Paul Society is looking for volunteers to work in their Thrift Store, helping to organize and display donated items, customer services and cashier duties. Must be able to work a minimum of three hours per week, can be flexible. For more information, contact Nick Kolb at (724) 465-2440.


• accessAbilities is in need of volunteers to assist with 5K Run/Walk and a murder mystery dinner. For more information, call (724) 465-6042.

• The American Red Cross needs volunteers at blood drives to serve a walkers, greeters or canteen workers. For more information call (724) 465-5678.

• Four Footed Friends needs special event volunteers. Call (724) 349-1144 for details.

• ICCAP can use help with Care and Share Day and other special events. For more information, call (724) 465-2657 or (724)248-9555.

• Indiana County Humane Society is looking for volunteers to assist with the county fair, school presentations and fundraising. Call (724) 465-7387/3977 for details.

• Historical & Genealogical Society needs a collections assistant, volunteer coordinator and special events volunteer. Contact Coleen Chambers at (724) 463-9600.

• Torrance State Hospital needs assistance for special events (picnic, auction, holiday events) through the year. Contact Donnalee Fleming at (724) 459-4464.


SENIOR CORPS is a national volunteer organization.

It provides volunteers age 55 and over with volunteer opportunities in nonprofit agencies.

Benefits include free accident, personal liability and access automobile insurance while volunteering.

Contact Janeen Love at (800) 648-3381, ext. 236, or at for more information.

Next Article
May 20, 2014 10:40 AM
Disclaimer: Copyright © 2017 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.