HOMER-CENTER: School board agrees to welcome Purchase Line to ICTC
The Homer-Center school board on Thursday agreed to accept Purchase Line School District as a partner and member district of Indiana County Technology Center.
Purchase Line is the last of the districts based in Indiana County to join ICTC, and it must be approved by all the other member districts. The agreement calls for Purchase Line to contribute $1,021,234 for an equal share of ownership, and to make 20 yearly payments of $51,062 without interest.
Board member Gerald Bertig hesitated to support the language of the agreement, calling it “overly generous” to Purchase Line — because the payment plan is interest free, for example.
“I think the deal could have been better for the other districts,” Bertig said, before joining a unanimous vote of approval.
In other business, the board:
• Hired Lisa Golec as a certified school nurse effective Aug. 18 at a salary of $50,516.
• Hired Kara Waltenbaugh as an elementary guidance counselor effective Aug. 20 at a salary of $52,656.
• Approved Sharon Mechling as head girls’ softball coach, Sarah Fyock as junior high volleyball coach, and Matt Wilson as assistant boys’ basketball coach for the 2014-15 school year at supplemental salaries to be determined by the teachers’ union contract.
• Approved a contract with Smith Bus Co., of Blairsville, for student transportation for seven years, through June 30, 2021.
The district had invited Smith and four other companies — Tri County Transportation Inc., A.J. Myers & Sons Inc., Stewart Bus Lines and STA/Krise Bus Service — to submit proposals for busing Homer-Center students.
Three of the companies met with district officials, and two placed bids on the contract before administrators and the board settled on retaining Smith, which has been serving the district for many years.
• Accepted the retirement resignation of maintenance supervisor William Bonya, effective Sept. 12.
• Approved Jerry Rossi, Paul Pohley, Jason Buggey and Rob Worcester as volunteer girls’ basketball coaches for 2014-15.
• Approved a sabbatical leave for Tammy Menk for the first half of the 2014-15 school year
• Raised the prices of cafeteria lunches by 10 cents, to $2.20 for the elementary school and $2.45 for the high school.
• Approved a proposal for worker’s compensation insurance coverage by Old Republic Insurance Co at a premium of $49,189.
• Contracted with McCrory & McCrory CPAs to perform the 2013-14 audit for the district for $12,500.