HUMAN SERVICES CALENDAR
Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• The Salvation Army offers different services including the Kids Supper Club, held every Tuesday. Join them for a meal, fellowship, activities and worshop; Ark of Learning, free one-on-one tutoring sessions for children in grades K though 12 in most subjects; and Coats for Kids, giving new or gently used coats to children who need them. Call (724) 465-2530 for more information.
• The Youth Anti-Drug Radio Message Contest, sponsored by the Armstrong-Indiana Drug Free Communities Coalition, Armstrong-Indiana-Clarion Drug and Alcohol Commission, and Renda Broadcast, is for students grade 4 to 12 in Armstrong Indiana Counties. The theme is “Above the Influence.” Participants are required to write their own personal message that captures how they stay above the influence of drugs and alcohol. Messages may be submitted from a group, club or individual. Six winners will be awarded, one from each grade in each county, and will have their messaged either professionally produced or they may record themselves at the Renda Broadcasting studio in Indiana. The deadline for entries is Oct. 18. Winners will be announced Nov. 4 and prizes will be awarded. For more information, email dneely@renda broadcasting.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Pennsylvania Department of Health is offering adult and child vaccines and immunizations free or for $5 per poverty guidelines. This is for an adult or child that does not have insurance or has insurance that does not cover the cost of the vaccine. Vaccines and immunizations include those for shingles, chickenpox, MMR, tetanus, meningitis, HPV, polio, pneumonia, hepatitis B, and hepatitis A. To schedule an appointment, or for more information, call (724) 357-2995.
• The PA Department of Health offers HIV testing and syphilis testing that is free and confidential Call (724) 257-2995 to schedule and appointment.
• Wheels for Wishes accepts donated vehicles to benefit the Make a Wish Foundation, Greater Pennsylvania and Southern West Virginia. There is free vehicle pick-up and all vehicles, running or not, are accept. The organization also accepts boats, motorcycles and RVs. Donation is 100 percent tax deductible. For more information, call (412) 535-8268 or visit www.wheelsforwishes.org.
• Clothes of Many Colors clothing closet at Calvary United Methodist Church in Brush Valley will offer free clothes from 1 to 5 p.m. Wednesday. For more information, call (724) 479-8290.
• ABC’s of Babysitting provides training for girls and boys ages 12 and older regarding the responsibilities of babysitting. The student will be prepared to interview for a babysitting job, keep a journal, and learn how to feed, entertain, and care for an infant, toddler, preschooler and school age child. Students will also learn first aid for emergencies, how to activate EMS, and do CPR and care for a choking victim. Meets at Indiana Regional Medical Center Outpatient Building, classroom A7B. For more information, call (724) 357-8088. Cost is $50 per student.
• Narcotics Anonymous meets 7 p.m. Sundays at Blairsville Free Methodist Church; 7 p.m. Sundays at Zion Lutheran Church, Indiana; 7:30 p.m. Mondays at Graystone Presbyterian Church, Indiana; 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Calvary Evangelical Church, Indiana; noon Wednesdays at Church of Christ, Indiana; 9 p.m. Fridays at Indiana Church of the Brethren; noon Saturdays at The Open Door, Indiana. Contact the helpline at (888) 251-2426.
• Adult Socialization Group is for adults with epilepsy through the Epilepsy Foundation of Western/Central Pennsylvania. For more information, call the Pittsburgh office at (800) 361-5885.
• Advisory Board on Autism and Related Disorders Family Support Group, through Family Behavioral Resources, meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Airport Professional Center, Suite 524, 1380 Route 286 East, White Township. A social skills group meets in conjunction with the support group. Children of all ages and developmental skills are welcome. For more information or to register, call (724) 465-0369.
• Bariatric Education and Support Group is for individuals contemplating or recovering from weight loss surgery. The group meets from 5:30 to 7 p.m. the last Wednesday of each month at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Breast Cancer Support Groups are available through Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital at 6:30 p.m. every first Tuesday the hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Community Psychiatric Centers Parent Support Group offers speakers on autism, ADHD, behavior, dyslexia and depression one Monday per month in Blairsville. Register at (724) 850-7200.
• Diabetes Support Group provides a dietitian and clinical nurse specialists to help people with diabetes develop and practice self-management. Call IRMC at (724) 357-8088.
• Fibromyalgia Support Group will meet from 6:15 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7, at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• The Hearing Loss Association of Pennsylvania meets at 10 a.m. the third Saturday of the month at the DePaul School for Hearing and Speech, Pittsburgh. For more information, call (412) 767-9769.
• Indiana Area Celebrate Recovery, sponsored by the Harvest Anglican Church and the Homer City United Methodist Church, will be held at the Homer City United Methodist Church each Thursday from 6:15 to 9:30 p.m. At 6:15 p.m. there will be an optional light meal and fellowship for $4.50. At 7 p.m., the large group meeting begins, led by a pastor or a deacon. A newcomers meeting and open share groups will be offered at 8 p.m., and fellowship at 9. Child care is offered at no charge. The group is a recovery ministry based on biblical principles with a goal to let God work through individuals in providing his healing power through a Christ-centered 12-step program. Participants share their experiences, strengths and hopes with one another. Celebrate Recovery provides a safe place for individuals to start dealing with their life’s hurts, hang-ups and habits. Some examples of recovery issues are: codependency, chemical addiction, sexual addiction, eating disorders, anger issues, and depression and/or loss. Call (724) 599-6699, (724) 479-8682, or email PastorHAF@gmail.com or HarvestAnglican@gmail.com for more information.
• Living with Diabetes is a recurring series that provides diabetes management information. Most insurance companies cover the costs. A physician referral is required. For more information, call Excela Health Diabetes Center at (724) 537-1066.
• Moms and Babes support and play group meets from 10 to 11:30 a.m. every Wednesday at IRMC Outpatient Building, classrooms A&B. Registration is not required. For information, call (724) 357-7496.
• One Stitch at a Time, a knitting and sharing hour, will be offered Tuesday at IRMC’s Women’s Imaging Center Library at 10 a.m. This hour is for women in cancer treatment or those who are moving beyond cancer. Call (724) 357-8081.
• PFLAG, or Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, have local chapters of a national organization to provide safe dialogue about sexual orientation and gender identity. The group seeks to replace negativity with accurate and positive information and support. For more information, contact the Indiana chapter at (724) 357-8309 or email email@example.com.
• Us Too Prostate Cancer Support Group meets from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Weight Watchers provides information on weight loss for a fee. For more information, call (800) 651-6000 or visit www.weightwatchers.com.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment. Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowser fh.com.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg. Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death. The group meets at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email skelly firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www. grasp help.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them. Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall. Registration is not necessary and participants may join at any time in the series.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families. Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center. Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died. Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment. For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month. For more information, call (724) 349-2000.
• Survivors of Suicide Group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Neuropsychiatric Associates Inc., IRMC Complex, Medical Arts Building, Suite 2200, Indiana. Gather together with others who understand the impact a death of suicide can have. Cost is $30. Initial intake at Neuropsychiatric Associates for possible insurance coverage. Call for more information, (724) 464-0270.