INDIANA COUNTY HUMAN SERVICES CALENDAR
Information for this column is provided by the Indiana County Department of Human Services.
• Creekside Area Food Pantry offers food for residents of Creekside, Ernest and Washington Township. The pantry is open from 10 a.m. to noon Thursday at Creekside United Methodist Church. For more information or an appointment, call (724) 463-6004.
• The Spectrum Program, a six-week course based on the findings of the Dean Ornish Program for reversing heart disease, is held at 6 p.m. at Indiana Regional Medical Center. Call for cost, dates, more information and to register at (724) 357-8088.
• Yoga for Health shows how yoga is suitable for most adults because of the non-strenuous nature and how it can be useful to help relieve symptoms associated with some conditions, such as cancer, arthritis and heart disease. Classes meet at 10:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at IRMC. For information, call (724) 357-8088.
• Water Exercise Classes are held at the Indiana County YMCA. Classes are arthritis, swimnastics and aqua aerobics. The seven-week sessions are excellent for individuals with joint problems and/or those who cannot exercise on land. Non-swimmers are welcome. For more information, call (724) 463-9622.
• Parent-Infant Massage is offered the first and third Fridays of every month through IRMC for moms, dads, babies and toddlers. Parents will learn the art of infant massage and will be guided through instruction on how to massage their own babies. Buy five classes for $20 and get one free. For more information, call (724) 357-7075.
• Smoke Free For Life classes are offered at IRMC. Call for next session dates. Key topics covered in both sessions include understanding the habit, developing a plan to quit and maintenance strategies. The classes are free courtesy of the Armstrong-Indiana-Clarion Drug and Alcohol Commission. For more information or to register, please contact Betsee Beunier at email@example.com or (724) 354-2746 ext. 318
• Your Changing Body for Girls is a workshop addressing the emotional and physical changes of puberty for girls ages 9 to 12 and their parents. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• An Alzheimer’s Support Group, sponsored by Hillsdale Nursing and Rehabilitation, meets at 2 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of the month at Citizen’s Ambulance Station, Hillsdale. For more information, call Kim Neff at (814) 743-6613.
• Arthritis Aquatics Program is offered at various locations. For more information, call the Indiana County YMCA at (724) 463-9622, Arthritis Foundation at (800) 522-9900 or Laurel Highlands Health Center at (724) 357-9991.
• Community Psychiatric Centers Parent Support Group offers speakers on autism, ADHD, behavior, dyslexia and depression one Monday per month in Blairsville. Register at (724) 850-7200.
• Connections by Choice, Catholic Charities, provides support and training for families with foster and adopted children including pre-adoptive, foreign and domestic adoptive families. Call (724) 463-8806.
• Co-Occurring Disorders Group is for anyone struggling with a mental health disorder and alcohol or substance dependency. This group will provide individuals with the opportunity to build strength, coping skills, direction, education and supports. This is an open group and will grow to incorporate topics, skills and interventions that will best meet the needs of its members. The group meets from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Thursdays at The Community Guidance Center. For more information, call (724) 465-5576 and ask for the intake department.
• Divorce Care provides study and support from a Christian perspective for separated or divorced adults at Grace United Methodist Church, Indiana. Registration is required. This program is offered in the fall. For more information, call (724) 463- 8535.
• Grandparents as Parents provides information and support to family members who are actively involved in the lives of others’ children through ARIN IU 28. The group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Aging Services Inc. Community Center. Child care is available. For information, call Andrea at (724) 463-5300, ext. 1235.
• I Can Cope, sponsored by the American Cancer Society and the Herbert L. Hanna Center for Oncology Care, is an educational series for cancer patients and their caregivers. Register no later than the Monday before. Contact Kristen at (412) 919-1078 or email Kristen at Kristen.Hillebrand@cancer.org.
• Insulin Pump Therapy Support Group is held quarterly at Excela Health Latrobe Hospital. Call (877) 771-1234 for more information.
• La Leche League provides mother-to-mother information and support for those planning to breast-feed or currently breast-feeding. The group meets at 10 a.m. Wednesday in the IRMC Outpatient Building, classrooms A&B. For information or 24-hour support, call (724) 463-4661.
• Myasthenia Gravis Association offers monthly, face-to-face support group meetings. Call for the schedule at (412) 566-1545 or visit the message board at www.mgawpa.org.
• Nurturing Parent Program, through the Child Advocacy and Relationship Enhancing Center, Indiana, provides general information on child discipline, nurturing, child development, parents of teens support and nurturing oneself as a parent. For dates and times, call (724) 463-8595.
• One Stitch at a Time, a knitting and sharing hour, will be offered Tuesday at IRMC’s Women’s Imaging Center Library at 10 a.m. This hour is for women in cancer treatment or those who are moving beyond cancer. Call (724) 357-8081.
Parkinson’s Disease Support Group will meet from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Greensburg. For more information, call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Center for Independent Living of South Central PA in Altoona. For more information, call (800) 237-9009.
• The Arc of Indiana County Parent Support Group meets the third Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m, for children of all ages and abilities.
For more information, call (724) 422-4379 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Us Too Prostate Cancer Support Group meets from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday at Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital. For more information, call (877) 771-1234.
• Weight Watchers provides information on weight loss for a fee. For more information, call (800) 651-6000 or visit www.weightwatchers.com.
• Bowser-Minich Bereavement Support Services offers a bereavement lending library open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or by appointment. Call (724) 349-3100 or (888) 923-5550.
• C. Frederick Bowser Funeral Home, Homer City, offers support services through an interactive website for bereavement and grief support literature at www.bowserfh.com.
• Coping with Loss Grief Support Group is a six-week series held at various community locations. Call Excela Health at (877) 771-1234.
• Curran Funeral Home Grief Support Group, 701 Salt St., Saltsburg. Call (724) 639-3911 for dates, times and location.
• GRASP, or Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing, offers support and sources of help for families and individuals who are in bereavement due to a substance misuse death.
The group will meet at The Open Door. For more information or to register, call (724) 762-3344, email email@example.com or visit www.grasphelp.org.
• Graystone Church GriefShare is a 13-week seminar and support group for people who are grieving the death of someone close to them. Sessions are offered in the spring and the fall. Registration is not necessary, and participants may join at any time in the series.
• Highmark Caring Place, through the Caring Foundation for Children, Pittsburgh, offers support groups weekly or biweekly for grieving children, adolescents and families. Call (888) 224-4673.
• John A. Lefdahl Funeral Home offers a bereavement support group open to the public. Call (724) 463-4499.
• The Hepatitis C Education/Support Group meets the first Tuesday of each month at noon and the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at Arc Manor in Kittanning. This group provides information and support that you need to live with, get treatment for, or prevent exposure to Hepatitis C. For more information, call (724) 548-7607 or (800) 323-1333.
• Hopeful Hearts, a service of the VNA of Indiana County, is a child-focused family bereavement support center. Hopeful Hearts provides peer support at no cost for all family members when someone close to the family has died.
Families meet biweekly in a safe, caring and confidential environment. For more information about this program or volunteer opportunities, call (724) 349-3888 or (877) 349-3888.
• Pregnancy Loss Support Group provides support for families who are grieving the loss of their baby through miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, stillbirth or newborn death. Call (877) 771-1234.
• Rairigh-Bence Funeral Home Inc. offers a support group and a bereavement lending library with booklets, videos, etc.
• Richard Shoemaker Funeral Home Support Group, Blairsville, (724) 459-9115; information and support offered by phone.
• Robinson-Lytle funeral home offers a bereavement library with books, videos and other information for adults and children. Call (724) 349-9700.
• Sharing Grief Support Group is offered from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. every first and third Thursday of the month. For more information, call (724) 349-2000.
• Survivors of Suicide Group meets from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Neuropsychiatric Associates Inc., IRMC Complex, Medical Arts Building, Suite 2200, Indiana. Gather together with others who understand the impact a death of suicide can have. Cost is $30. Initial intake at Neuropsychiatric Associates for possible insurance coverage.
Call for more information, (724) 464-0270.