IUP sponsoring activities for International Education Week
Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s Office of International Education is sponsoring several activities in celebration of International Education Week, Oct. 18 to 26, including a naturalization ceremony on Oct. 25.
International Education Week, a joint national initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education, promotes programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and that attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn and exchange experiences in the United States.
The naturalization ceremony, open to the community, will take place at 11 a.m. in the Kovalchick Convention and Athletic Complex’s Toretti Auditorium.
About 100 people are expected to participate in the ceremony, conducted by the Pittsburgh field office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The naturalization ceremony, open to the community, will take place at 11 a.m.
Michael Driscoll, IUP president, will give opening remarks. This is the third year IUP has hosted a naturalization ceremony. The ceremony is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and is free and open to the community.
Other programs at IUP for the week are being planned in collaboration with the foreign languages department and the Lively Arts. All events are free and open to the community, unless otherwise noted.
• International Education Week luncheon and international art contest, noon to 1:15 p.m., Crimson Event Center, Folger Hall. Food and music will be offered. Artwork with an international theme will be on display, and attendees can vote for their favorite for a People’s Choice Award. All photos will be displayed in the Commonplace Coffeehouse through Feb. 1.
• Six O’Clock Series, “Cultural Adjustment Through Study Abroad Experiences,” 6 p.m., Hadley Union Building Ohio Room. Moderated by Andy Kent, study abroad adviser. This program explores the idea of cultural adjustment in the areas of academics, social life, food and returning home.
• International Tea Time, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Hadley Union Building Susquehanna Room. Staffed by IUP international students, booths representing 10 to 15 countries will offer tea, coffee, juice, food and customs of their respective countries.
• Study abroad fair, noon to 3 p.m., Hadley Union Building Ohio Room. Students can learn about IUP reciprocal exchanges, affiliated programs, faculty-led programs and overseas volunteer and service-learning opportunities. IUP’s ROTC will be present to discuss ROTC programs that support study abroad, including scholarships.
• Products from Mi Esperanza, a nonprofit organization that supports the women of Honduras by helping them to create small businesses, will be for sale.
• Summer Study Abroad in Southern Africa information program, 7:30 p.m., Weyandt Hall, Room 6. Sponsored by the IUP Biology Department.
• Working and Teaching Abroad after Graduation program, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., Hadley Union Building Monongahela Room. People are invited to bring a lunch and hear a presentation from faculty and students about teaching and working abroad.
• Noche Latina, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Hadley Union Building Ohio Room. Hosted by Latino Student Organization and Ritmo Latino Dance Crew in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. The event includes food, music and dance.