Parks plan weekend programs
Two nature programs are planned at Yellow Creek State Park this weekend:
• Salamander Safari will begin at 4 p.m. Saturday at the park office.
Mike Shaffer, park naturalist, will help participants explore Laurel Run for salamanders and other critters. All are asked to wear shoes that can get wet. Registration is required; phone (724) 7913. Space is limited to the first 40 people who sign up.
• Bats: Up Close and Personal will be held at the North Shore Amphitheater from 8 to 9:30 p.m. Participants will learn why bats are so important to the environment and help conduct a bat count. Bring a blanket to sit on.
The park is located off Route 422 east of Penn Run.
o o o
DERRY — Keystone State Park, 1150 Keystone State Park Road, near Derry, will hold several programs this weekend. Planned are:
• Predators, a DiscoverE Program, will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. Friday. Participants, ages 9 to 13, should meet at the visitors center and be ready to hike. Register at pmcquistia @pa.gov or (724) 668-2566.
• A fishing derby will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the lake. Stop by to cast a line, catch some fish and learn about aquatic animals. Call (724) 668-2566 for details.
• Kayak Keystone will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday. If you want to try out kayaking and learn some weekly conservation tips, join boaters for this beginners kayaking program. Register at email@example.com or phone (724) 668-2566.
• Storytime by the Lake is planned for 10:30 a.m. Sunday at the amphitheater on the camping side of the lake. Topics range from feathered friends to batty bug zappers to spunky spiders.
• A farmers market will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the beach parking lot. Vendors can rent a space for $10. Call (724) 238-6702 for details.