Supply store was anchor of mining company town
The Charles Supply Co. and the Boltz Post Office, which opened Dec. 14, 1916, are shown in this old photo from the collection of county historian John Busovicki, of Clymer.
The town of Charles, founded in 1916, is located in East Wheatfield Township near state Route 711 on the Pennsylvania Railroad line. It was named for Charles S. Owens, a major stockholder and official of the Diamond Smokeless Coal Co., who opened a mine there employing about 90 to 100 people.
Boltz was named after the surnames of the five major stockholders of the Diamond Smokeless Coal Co.: Frank Baker, Charles Owens, Harry Long, James Thomas and Edward Zimmerman.