THOSE OLD PHOTOS
John Sephus Mack, the only son of John McCrory Mack and Sarah E. Murphy, was born March 9, 1880, in Brush Valley.
He received his training in the chain store business with J.G. McCrory. In 1911, he and Walter Shaw bought the G.C. Murphy Co., a corporation of 10 stores. By 1931, the corporation had 160 stores with 2,500 employees.
Mack was the president and general manager. He married Margaret Gordon, of Virginia, and they had two sons, John Gordon and James S. On Sept. 21, 1939, Indiana Hospital accepted a $115,000 donation from Mack to build the Mack Memorial Wing for maternity patients. He also donated the fairgrounds to the county.
This old photo is from the collection of county historian John Busovicki, of Clymer. (Submitted photo)