UNITED: School board handles full slate of business
EAST WHEATFIELD TOWNSHIP — United school board directors handled a slate of business matters Tuesday at their regular meeting.
The board voted to:
• Approve the dual enrollment agreement between the district and St. Francis College for 2014-15.
• Approve the Blackboard Master Agreement and the Blackboard Order Form between Blackboard and the district for 2014-15 for $3,172.20 for its AlertNow service for 1,244 recipients.
AlertNow is the district’s emergency call-out system.
Any parent that provides the school with a phone number will receive alerts, such as two-hour delays, early dismissals and the like, Superintendent Barbara Parkins said.
• Accept a bid from Reed Oil Co. for the purchase of 87 octane unleaded gasoline for fiscal year 2014-15 at the rack price with a 20-cent per gallon markup, with an estimated usage of 24,000 gallons.
• Approved participation in the ARIN IU28 Automated External Defibrillator Replacement Consortium for 2014-15 for $780: $95 per unit for four units and $100 per set for pediatric replacement pads.
• Authorize HHSDR to prepare bid specifications for the folding door in the elementary gymnasium. Davis said the door is very old and may leave marks on the new gym floor, so the district wanted to get some bids to replace it.
• Approve a proposal from Eastern Elevator Service and Sales Co. for $461.94 to replace the existing emergency light unit at the high school with a new emergency light unit containing a power supply.
The cost includes labor, travel and mileage to install the unit and will be invoiced on a time- and-material basis and provide miscellaneous light bulbs.
• Approve a letter of agreement from Learning Lamp to provide Title I instructional services in reading and/or math, tutoring, computer-assisted instruction, etc., for qualifying nonpublic students enrolled at Our Mother of Sorrows School in Johnstown for $2,618.56 (two students at a per-pupil rate of $1,169 plus administrative costs of $280.56) from Aug. 27 through June 30, 2015.
• Approve a professional services agreement from Catapult Learning LLC to provide Title I instructional services in reading and/ or math for qualifying nonpublic students enrolled at St. Bernard Catholic School and Seeds of Faith Christian Academy, both in Indiana, for $5,330.64 (four students at a per-pupil rate of $1,169 plus administrative costs of $654.64) from Sept. 1 through June 30, 2015.
• Approve a tuition agreement from New Story to provide services for four students for 2014-15 at $170 per day and any other related service costs as needed, plus the cost of transportation.
• Approve participation of a high school student for pre-vocational/vocational training in the Cambria County Association of the Blind and Handicapped program for 2014-15 at $60 for vocational assessment testing and $40 for half-day attendance, plus the cost of transportation.
• Approve and enter into a letter of agreement with The Meadows Psychiatric Center/Universal Community of Behavioral Health headquartered in Centre Hall for educational services as needed for 2014-15, at a rate of $30 per hour offered Monday through Friday for up to two hours a day.
• Approve a change order submitted by BCS Construction Inc. providing for the removal and replacement of an additional 400 square feet of concrete sidewalk at the junior/senior high school at a cost to the district of $3,444, which is covered under the contractor’s base bid that included a field quantity allowance of $4,305 for an additional 500 square feet of concrete sidewalk at the price of $8.61 per square foot.
• Approve a contract with BAYADA Home Health Care Inc. to provide “in-school” nursing services to a student at $44 per hour for both RN and LPN services.
• Approve a letter of agreement with the Armstrong-Indiana-Clarion Drug & Alcohol Commission Inc. to provide services for the Student Assistance Program Initiative for the upcoming school year.
• Approve the following mentors for newly hired teachers: Brian Manges as mentor to biology teacher Andrew Davis; Denesa Sharp as mentor to special education instructor Tyler Stokes; Tara Fabbri (first semester) and Bre Custer (second semester) as mentor to special-education teacher Kristen Fisher; and Toni Draksler as mentor to elementary instructor Chanie Spearing.
• Accept the resignations of Tyler Capitosti from his supplemental position of assistant junior high wrestling coach and Bailey Fulkroad as assistant band director, effective immediately.
• Authorize Parkins to make changes and corrections as needed to bus/van routes and schedules as per board policy for the coming school year, and to approve bus/van drivers and substitute bus/van drivers for 2014-15, pending receipt of proper documentation.
• Authorize the finance director to arrange transportation for nonpublic students in accordance with district policy.