Apollo-Ridge's Girdano among 11 inductees to Armstrong HOF
Second Lt. Michael Girdano, who died while on deployment in Afghanistan, will be inducted by the Armstrong County Sports Hall of Fame when it holds its annual banquet in April.
Girdano is being inducted under the Hall of Fame’s special award honoring military veterans. He died Aug. 1, 2008, about a month into his first overseas deployment, when he was wounded by an improvised explosive device. He was a 2003 graduate of Apollo-Ridge High School.
Ten others will be inducted at the banquet, which will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday, April 27, at Laube Hall in Freeport. In addition, two athletes from each of the county’s eight high schools will be recognized.
Slated for induction are:
• Brandon Stefaniak, Apollo-Ridge, gymnastics
• John G. Simensky, Ford City, bowling
• Linsey Westerman, Freeport, track and field
• Carol Perroz, Freeport, softball
• Dennis Stewart, Kittanning, wrestling
• Jeff Cortiselo, Leechburg, football
• Frank Sulava, Leechburg, football
• Joe Boario, Leechburg, special award as a builder
• Shintrika Renee Hudson, West Shamokin, softball
• David Stewart, Worthington, special award as a builder
Those who will be recognized as student-athletes are: Ben Gemballa and Rachel Moore, Apollo-Ridge; Cody Peppler and Andrea Digregorio, Ford City; Cole Hepler and Alexis Schrecengost, Freeport; Tyler Kepple and Emily Schumacher, Karns City; Jason Nolf and Terra Schall, Kittanning; Matt Barto and Marisa George, Leechburg; Zane Watson and Emma Kennemuth, Redbank Valley; and Zane Clowser and Kelly Clowser, West Shamokin.
For tickets, contact Dennis Wolfe at (724) 882-3557.