CHERRYHILL TOWNSHIP — The kitchen and dining room are a total loss in a house along Country Road in the Timberlake development, after a fire discovered last night by the homeowner when he returned to the residence.
“The occupant had returned home about 9 p.m. and noticed the fire and tried to go in,” Cherryhill Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jody Rainey said. “The smoke pushed him back out then he called the fire department.”
No injuries were reported.
Cherryhill Township VFD was dispatched by Indiana County Emergency Management along with Clymer, Commodore and Pine Township departments, a rapid intervention team and Citizens’ Ambulance Service.
“We know it started in the kitchen area, the exact cause we don’t know for sure,” Rainey said, but he believed the fire was “not suspicious in nature.”
The Cherryhill Township chief said units were able to extinguish the fire in that area of the house, but it had extended into the attic, leaving heavy smoke damage throughout the house.
He said firefighters remained on the scene for two-and-a-half to three hours.