EAST WHEATFIELD TOWNSHIP — Directors at United on Tuesday employed another security guard for the district.
Bernard Petrovsky was hired as a part-time school security guard for the 2019-20 school year at a rate of $18.40 per hour, with no benefits, effective Aug. 19.
Directors also authorized Petrovsky, who has graduated from the state police academy and has been employed as a state trooper, to carry a firearm while on school property.
Also Tuesday, the board voted to:
• Accept a donation of approximately $8,800 from United Track Boosters for improvements to the throwing field.
• Approve the adoption of 10th-grade textbooks, “Entrepreneurship Ideas in Action,” for $2,562.50.
• Approve an agreement between the district and New Story for extended school year services for one student at a cost of $391 per day, and one at a cost of $299 per day, from June 26 through Aug. 7 with the exception of July 4.
• Authorize activity requests from Chris Matava for $1,534.85 and from Keri Miller for $180 to attend the PIAA State Track Meet that took place May 24-25 in Shippensburg.
• Authorize activity requests from Cullen Stokes and Robert Penrose to attend the Juniata College Sports Performance Conference on June 21 and 22 at $468.17 each.
The Department of Health Wellness Grant will cover the cost of the conference.
• Authorize a resolution between the district and ARIN IU28 to obtain individuals through the guest teacher consortium to serve as emergency substitute teachers for the upcoming school year at a cost of $400.
• Approve the annual public performance site license through BlaST IU17 consortium agreement with Swank Movie Licensing USA. The cost for 2019-20 is $405.60 for the high school and $432 for the elementary, totaling $837.60. The licenses provide the legal requirement for allowing movies to be shown at both schools.
• Approve a service through ARIN IU28 to provide calibration checks for the Pure Tone audiometers at $75 per unit.
• Approve a letter of agreement by and between the district and Meadows Psychiatric
Center/Universal Community Behavior Health to provide educational services to individuals assigned to the district and the center at a rate of $67 per day as needed for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years.
• Approve a contract with Bayada Nurses Inc. to provide nursing services for the upcoming school year at a rate of $44 per hour for both RN and LPN services.
• Authorize the Learn Well agreement to provide direct instruction and continuous administrative support for a student at a cost of $40 per hour for 10 hours per week of instruction.
• Approve a letter of collaborative agreement with Merakey Behavioral Health to provide behavioral health services for 2019-20.
• Approve a letter of collaborative agreement between the district and the Community Guidance Center to continue providing services for 2019-20 under the Student Assistance Program at no cost to the district.
• Approve a letter of agreement between the district and Goodwill of the Southern Alleghenies from Sept. 1 to Sept. 1, 2020, to provide community-based work assessments, paid work experience, job finding (placement) or job support (coaching) and workplace readiness skills teaching to United students with disabilities.
• Accept the resignation of Nathan Bevard as assistant junior high girls’ basketball coach effective immediately; and the resignation of Samantha Safko as junior high girls’ assistant volleyball coach effective immediately.