EAST WHEATFIELD TOWNSHIP — United’s superintendent was granted a one-year contract extension beginning in December.
Directors on Tuesday approved the extension for Dr. Barbara Parkins, who has been with the district since December 2012. The one-year addition to her contract will begin Dec. 13 and end Dec. 12, 2021.
Board President Eric Matava said in an email Wednesday that although Parkins’ current contract was not set to expire until the end of this year, “the board felt it was important to be forward-thinking and not wait to make what we view to be a very important decision for the district and the community as a whole.”
“Dr. Parkins is highly regarded by students, staff, and community members and, under her leadership, United continues to be a place where we foster and showcase the many talents of our students,” Matava said. “We are excited that Dr. Parkins has agreed to continue to lead the district in this capacity and look forward to continuing to work with her to advance the district’s strategic plan.”
In other business Tuesday, the directors voted to:
• Approve the ARIN Intermediate Unit general operating budget of $3,507,939 for the 2020-2021 school year, and United’s share of $35,179.
• Adopt the 2020-2021 school calendar. The first day for teachers will be Aug. 24 and the first day for students will be Aug. 26. The last day of the school year for students will be June 3.
• Approve activity requests from Luke Hamilton to attend the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association District 3 Band Competition from today through Saturday at Keystone High School at a cost of $1,615; the PMEA District 3 Jazz Band on March 6 and 7 at Punxsutawney High School at a cost of $846; and the PMEA Region 2 Band Competition from March 25-27 at IUP at a cost of $1,140.
• Authorize a request from Kathy Reasor to attend the Future Business Leaders of America State Leadership Conference from April 5 through 8 in Hershey at a cost of $8,145. Thirteen students may attend.
• Approve an activity request from Parkins to attend the 2020 PA Rural and Small Schools Annual Meeting from April 29 through May 1 in Boalsburg at a cost of $683.99.
• Approve the Pregnant and Parenting Teen — Education Leading to Employment and Career Training program with ARIN in the amount of $900.
• Authorize an agreement between Mount Aloysius College and the district for pre-student teaching and student teaching students to participate in classroom observations and participation, for a term of five years.
• Approved a building usage request from Julie Mains, on behalf of PA Blue Thunder, to use the elementary or high school gymnasiums mid-February through June 2020 for PA Blue Thunder girls’ basketball practice for eighth- through 10th-grade girls from United and surrounding schools.
• Accept a $6,000 donation from the F.L. Rodgers Family Fund of the Community Foundation to support the College Preparatory Fund at the high school.
• Accept a donation of $200 from the Student Cooperative Association Inc. for the United Marching Band’s participation in the IUP homecoming parade.
• Accept the donation of 68 dictionaries from the Indiana Rotary Dictionary Project to the elementary school’s third-grade students.
• Authorize Chelsea Cawley as a substitute custodian and Lyndee Fischer as a substitute aide and substitute secretary for the 2019-2020 school year.
• Approve Tina Shetler as a van driver for the current school year.