ARMSTRONG TOWNSHIP — A fire suspected to have begun in the vicinity of a clothes washer and dryer filled a mobile home with smoke Tuesday morning along Cheese Run Road, a fire official said.
Volunteers from seven fire department answered the alarm at 7:51 a.m. and worked about two hours to halt the fire. Damage from the flames, confined to the area of the appliances, combined with heavy smoke throughout the mobile home rendered it unlivable. Creekside Fire Chief Cody Hitchings said some of the resident’s belongings might be salvaged but he said the trailer is a total loss.
Hitchings declined to release the names of the owner and tenant of the mobile home, situated within sight and slightly northwest of Yarnick’s Farm between Creekside and Route 422.
Hitchings said a large number of fire companies were dispatched in part due to the unavailability of many volunteer firefighters at the start of the work day and in part because of an insufficient public water supply. Many of the assisting companies were summoned for their tanker trucks to keep a supply of water on the flames.
“The resident was at home at the time,” Hitchings said. “He said the smoke detectors went off, and he found smoke coming from behind the washer and dryer. He pulled the plugs but returned a short time later and it got worse so he shut off the breaker.
“By that time the trailer was full of smoke so he evacuated.”
No one was reported to be injured during firefighting operations.
The Creekside, Indiana, Elderton, Plumville, Homer City and McIntyre/Coal Run fire departments, Indiana County rapid intervention team and Citizens’ Ambulance Service were first dispatched to the scene; the Dayton and Brush Valley departments soon were dispatched to standby in Plumville and Homer City stations; the Marion Center fire department later was sent to the scene.