NASCAR NOTES: Larson hangs on for Nationwide win
Kyle Larson raced to his second Nationwide Series victory of the season Saturday, holding off Brad Keselowski and Kyle Busch at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
The 21-year-old Larson passed Keselowski on the 118th lap in the 200-lap race and led the rest of the way. Larson also won at Fontana.
Keselowski was second, followed by Busch, Kevin Harvick and Brian Scott.
Busch won the previous three Nationwide Series races at Charlotte and has eight victories at the track, but wasn’t much of a factor after leading the first 23 laps.
Larson won on car owner Chip Ganassi’s 56th birthday, and one week after Jamie McMurray won the Sprint Cup All-Star race.
• Former Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne will race Roush-Fenway Racing’s No. 6 car fulltime in Sprint Cup next season.
Car owner Jack Roush said Saturday that he would like to field four Sprint Cup teams in 2015, but the lineup was still “in flux.” Roush did not have any updates on negotiations with Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle.
The 23-year-old Bayne had been running a part-time Sprint Cup schedule for the Wood Brothers while competing on the full Nationwide circuit for Roush-Fenway.
Roush said Bayne’s team would have fulltime sponsorship from AdvoCare, Bayne’s Nationwide backer.
Bayne won Daytona in 2011.
• Sprint Cup points leader Jeff Gordon cut short his practice Saturday because of back spasms and the No. 24 team has Regan Smith on standby should the four-time champion not be able to run the Coca-Cola 600.
Gordon went just 11 laps before he told his crew he couldn’t continue. He left out of a side door of his hauler and was escorted out of the track to get treatment. Crew chief Alan Gustafson said the team would not run the car in the final practice session Saturday and instead get it ready for today’s race.
Gustafson said the plan was for Gordon to start the longest event in NASCAR. Should the pain be too much for the 42-year-old Gordon, Smith would take over the Hendrick Motorsports car.