Indiana, PA - Indiana County

Chimney fire caused by soot

by The Indiana Gazette on March 16, 2014 1:55 AM

BRUSH VALLEY TOWNSHIP — Firefighters from the Brush Valley and Cherryhill Township companies extinguished a fire Saturday evening in the chimney of a house along Route 259.

The fire started because of a buildup of soot that had accumulated for several years, Brush Valley Fire Chief Ed Altemus reported.

Firefighters removed some blocks from the top of the chimney, but there was little other damage, Altemus said.

“We cleaned it out and told the residents to shut it down because it’s in bad shape,” the chief said.

No one was reported to be injured. The names of the owners and occupants were not provided. The fire departments responded at 7:19 p.m. and left the scene about an hour later.

Next Article
March 16, 2014 1:50 AM
Disclaimer: Copyright © 2017 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.