Three sentenced to die in China attack
BEIJING (AP) — A court in western China sentenced three people to death today for planning a deadly car ramming at Beijing’s iconic Tiananmen Gate last year that was blamed on Muslim separatists, state media reported.
The three were accused of providing funds to carry out the Oct. 28 attack, in which a car plowed through tourists and ended up in a fiery crash in the heart of Beijing, killing two bystanders and the three attackers.
A court in the Xinjiang regional capital of Urumqi sentenced the three to death, the official Xinhua News Agency said. Five other people were given prison sentences, with four receiving terms of five to 20 years and one getting a life sentence.
Xinhua said they had traveled to Beijing on Oct. 7, 2013, to deliver money to buy a jeep, gasoline, knives and other materials related to the attack.
The eight were arrested within days of the incident.