YOUNG TOWNSHIP — Fire of suspicious origin early Sunday swept through a building that once housed a schoolhouse, a community center and a strip club on the edge of McIntyre, a fire official said.
The fire began not far inside the entrance to the structure that most recently housed the Coconut Cove Inc. Gentlemen’s Club, a nude dance hall that has been idle for about 1ﾽ years, said Fire Chief David Galinac of the Coal Run/McIntyre volunteer fire department.
“It’s probably a complete loss,” Galinac said. “We had flames inside and it just gutted the inside.”
No one was reported to be injured. A state police fire marshal was expected to meet with local fire officials this morning at the scene to search for the cause of the fire. The fire was discovered just after 3 a.m.
The Saltsburg, Blairsville and Iselin/West Lebanon fire departments were dispatched beginning at 3:14 a.m. to assist the Coal Run/McIntyre units.
The structure was a four-room schoolhouse serving part of Young Township, and later served as the McIntyre Community Center.
The Coconut Cove strip club opened in the building in July 2002 amid protests of area residents, sparking efforts by local municipal officials to enact ordinances that would restrict or prevent similar businesses from opening in the area.