BLAIRSVILLE — Fire officials blamed an electrical problem for a fire Saturday night in a residence along Oak Lane near Walnut Street.
While the fire itself left minimal damage, the resulting smoke and the water from firefighting efforts pushed damage close to the moderate range, a fire official said.
No one was reported to be injured.
“The insulation held it in check for us,” Blairsville Fire Chief George Burkley said. “There was not a lot of fire, but it was contained to one small portion of ceiling in a bedroom closet, and it burned through a joist for a roof truss.
“There will be a considerable amount of cleanup … (but) it could have been a lot worse.”
Burkley did not give an estimate of the damage.
The fire was reported at 11:28 p.m. in a house owned and occupied by Nancy Bonarrigo, Burkley said.
The Black Lick and Homer City fire companies and the Indiana County rapid-intervention team assisted at the scene; a call for Bradenville firefighters was canceled, and the Eastern Derry fire department was assigned to standby.