NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — A task force of elected officials on Friday recommended tearing down the Connecticut elementary school where 20 first-graders and six educators were shot dead in December and rebuilding on the site.
The group of 28 Newtown elected officials voted unanimously in favor of a plan that would construct a new building on the property where the existing Sandy Hook Elementary School is located. The proposal now goes to the local school board and ultimately before voters as a referendum.
Parent Daniel Krauss, whose daughter is a second-grader, said he was pleased by the panel’s recommendation.
“It’s been a place for learning, for kids to grow up and it’s going to go back to that,” he said after the meeting at the Newtown Municipal Center.
Krauss’s daughter is among the 430 surviving students who now are attending a renovated school renamed Sandy Hook Elementary School in the neighboring town of Monroe.
Sandy Hook Elementary School hasn’t housed students since the killings.
Some town residents said the school should be torn down because they couldn’t imagine sending children back there. Others favored renovating the school, with some saying that tearing it down would be a victory for evil.
Last week, several teachers told the task force that they didn’t want to return to the property.