Toddler dies of injuries
May 20, 2013 10:59 AM

PITTSBURGH — A toddler who was rushed to Children’s Hospital Friday morning after he was found bruised and unresponsive has died, and the man accused of assaulting him will probably be charged with criminal homicide, Indiana County District Attorney Patrick Dougherty said this morning.

Malachi Patterson, 20 months, died early Sunday afternoon, and the formal cause of death is pending an autopsy at the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s office.

His mother’s husband, Juan Campbell, 27, remains incarcerated in the Indiana County Jail on a $150,000 bond. Campbell was charged Saturday with aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children and recklessly endangering another person.

Dougherty said this morning that the criminal complaint will be amended to add a charge of criminal homicide pending the autopsy results.

A press conference is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. today to discuss the charges.

Malachi was the son of Jamie Lynn Campbell, who was in a hospital after the birth of another child at the time of the incident Friday, Dougherty said.

According to police, Citizens’ Ambulance Service responded to an apartment at 88 Susan Drive in Burrell Township for an unresponsive child. Malachi was taken first to Indiana Regional Medical Center and then to Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh, where he died.

He had bruises on his left ear and cheek and nose, and a physician at the hospital said the injuries were not the result of an accident, according to the criminal complaint.

Campbell contested that he had taken the infant into his bed along with his 6-year-old son, and that he realized Malachi wasn’t moving or responding around 2:30 a.m. He said he performed CPR and called the child’s mother, then called 911, according to the charging documents.

He also told police he did not abuse the victim. Campbell acknowledged that he was the only adult in the bedroom when something happened to the boy, according to the criminal complaint.

Malachi’s grandmother, Lynn Patterson, who also was staying at the apartment, told police that when she checked on him around 10:30 p.m. he was asleep and was not hurt.

She said Campbell woke her at 2:30 a.m. and told her something was wrong. She said she picked him up and found he was unresponsive and saw a bruise on his left cheek. Dougherty said the investigation is continuing.

Disclaimer: Copyright © 2017 Indiana Gazette. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.,17305171/