Thirteen local students have been selected for the inaugural Sutton Scholars academic achievement scholarship program at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
“Sutton Scholars are an elite group,” IUP Director of Admissions Michael Husenits said in a release.
“We’ve established this program to recognize the best of our freshman applicants, ones who have very strong academics and outstanding promise.”
Students must apply to be considered for the program and are chosen following an on-campus competitive interview process.
Started in 2012, the IUP Sutton Scholarship is funded by private gifts the Foundation for IUP received from university alumni, friends and employees. IUP’s Class of 2012 also designated a portion of its class gift to this scholarship fund.
The scholarship is available to Pennsylvania students and can be renewed for four years of study.
Sutton Scholarship recipients are also eligible for the Sutton Scholars Summer Academy, which provides scholarship funds for four years of summer course work.
Local recipients are:
• Angelica Cerra, of Saltsburg, the daughter of Mark and Gwen Cerra. A graduate of Saltsburg High School, she will attend IUP in the fall as an education major. She is a two-time recipient of the Presidential Award and a high honor roll student. She is a member of her school’s soccer team and participated in musicals. She volunteers at Saltsburg Elementary School, where she tutors first-graders.
• Jesse Clevenger, of Blairsville, the son of Bill and Christine Clevenger. A graduate of Blairsville High School, he will attend IUP in the fall as a geology-energy resources major. An honor roll student, he has participated in youth group and other activities at SS. Simon & Jude Parish in Blairsville.
• Jolee Dennae, of Blairsville, the daughter of Cory and Rhonda Braatz. A graduate of Blairsville High School, she will attend IUP in the fall as a nursing major. She is a recipient of the Rotary Student of the Month, Future Business Leaders of America Excellence Award and has been nominated for the National Youth Leadership Conference. She has volunteered with the American Red Cross and is a member of the Blairsville High School 1:1 Committee.
• Kaitlyn Deptola, of Homer City, the daughter of Tom and Marcia Deptola. She was a member of Homer-Center’s National Honor Society, participated in the senior class play, county chorus, district chorus, women’s choir, Teens Against All Drugs, prom committee and yearbook committee.
• Patrick Edwards, of White Township, the son of Robert and Carla Edwards. A graduate of Indiana Area Senior High School, he will attend IUP in the fall as an economics major. He is a volunteer at Four Footed Friends and has participated in the international high school theater festival “The Fringe,” in Scotland.
• Craig Fry IV, of East Wheatfield Township, the son of Craig and Brenda Fry. A graduate of United High School, he is a volunteer firefighter for the Armagh & East Wheatfield Fire Department, and was president of the Robotics Team at United and class treasurer.
• Brett Kimmel, of Spring Church, the son of George and Loretta Kimmel. A veteran of the United States Navy and a 2011 graduate of Apollo-Ridge High School, he will attend IUP in the fall as a physics major.
• Stephanie LaMantia, of Indiana, the daughter of Jim and JoAnn LaMantia. A graduate of Marion Center Area High School, she will attend IUP in the fall as a speech-language pathology and audiology major. She was a member of her school’s basketball and volleyball teams, SWARM prep club, National Honor Society, student council and math club.
• Alexandra Larch, of White Township, the daughter of Ron and Dawn Larch. A graduate of Agora Cyber School, she will attend IUP in the fall as a management major. An honor roll student, she is also a recipient of the Eberly College of Business and Information Technology Brick Fund Scholarship and Future Business Leaders of America Scholarship.
• Lana McArdle, of Indiana, the daughter of Jim and Germaine McArdle. A graduate of Indiana Area Senior High School, she will attend IUP in the fall as an English education major.
• Sarah Peles, of Glen Campbell, the daughter of Dan and Bernardine Peles. A graduate of Purchase Line High School, she will attend IUP in the fall as a nursing major. She was the president of her school’s National Honor Society and president of the local and regional Future Business Leaders of America. She was also a member of her school’s yearbook, quiz bowl, marching band and math team.
• Heidi Peterson, of Home, the daughter of Ed and Diane Peterson. A graduate of Marion Center Area Senior High School, she will attend IUP in the fall as a psychology major. She was a member of the National Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Future Business Leaders of America, math club, choir and her school’s softball and volleyball teams.
• Taylor Woodrow, of Marion Center, the daughter of Steve and Tracey Woodrow. A graduate of Marion Center Area Senior High School, she will attend IUP in the fall as a speech-language pathology and audiology major. She was a member of her school’s varsity basketball and volleyball teams.