Rural Valley will celebrate the 24th anniversary of the Shannock Valley Community Festival this week, bringing along the entertainment, food and events that all the attendees love.
The three-day event, held Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Shannock Valley Park along Route 85 in Rural Valley, is a staple of the community and welcomes all to enjoy the festivities.
“Everything is right on schedule,” said festival Chairwoman Pam Steffy. “Being the 24th year, everything basically runs itself at this point.”
Attendees can look forward to entertainment, different races, rides, food, fireworks and all the basics, according to Steffy.
“What’s nice is everything’s free except for the things you want to purchase,” Steffy said.
“The festival comes and goes so fast,” she said. “We plan for months, it’s a couple of hours each evening, then it’s over.”
The festival kicks off Thursday with rides, food, exhibitors and acoustic entertainment by Mark Anderson. Registration for the third annual Weiner Dog race begins at 6 p.m. with the race at 7 p.m.
The festival continues Friday with more entertainment by DJ Eternal Fire and Mark McLaughlin. The much-anticipated Festival Parade, an annual event that has accompanied the festival for all 24 years, begins at 6 p.m. The entertainment continues with some good old rock-n-roll with the Ozone Rangers, a ZZ Top tribute band, from 6 to 10:30 p.m.
The festival swings into full gear on Saturday with several events to watch or take part in.
Registration for the 18th annual 5K Walk/Run Race begins early at 7:45 to 9 a.m. with the race itself starting at 9. The registration fee is $17. Trophies will be given to the top three male and female overall winners, and the top three males and females in each age group.
Racing continues with registration for the 16th annual Mountain Bike Race beginning at 9:30 a.m. to the race’s start at 11 a.m. Registration is $23. The top three male and female overall winners will be recognized, as well as the top three males and females in each age group.
If you enjoy a bit of gambling with your racing, the 7th annual Poker Run registration starts at 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. with the race beginning at 1 p.m. sharp. Racers will return by 6 p.m.
Parking for the car show begins at 3 p.m. All cars, trucks, bikes and others are welcome.
Entertainment for Saturday includes DJ Eternal Fire and Mark McLaughlin from 3 to 6 p.m. at the Poker Run and Car Show parking area. Senior Sensations will be playing on stage from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Joe Patrick and Four on the Floor brings country rock to the festival from 6 to 10:30 p.m.
The festival closes out Saturday night with a fireworks show beginning at 10 p.m.
“We want to show our appreciation to everyone who volunteers each year to make the festival possible,” Steffy said. “All the people who put their time and family aside to help out.”
As always, Steffy is holding out hope for good weather.
“Each year we seem to get a little rain,” she said. “All we need are a couple of good evenings and one good day.”
The 24th annual Shannock Valley Community Festival will be held July 25, 26 and 27. The schedule of events is as follows:
• Third annual Weiner Dog Races: registration begins at 6 p.m., race begins at 7 p.m. See www.svcfestival.com for more information.
• Mark Anderson, acoustic: performs 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
• The 24th annual Festival Parade: registration begins at 4 p.m., parade begins at 6 p.m.
• DJ Eternal Fire, Mark McLaughlin: plays from 4 to 7 p.m.
• The 24th Annual Festival Parade: begins at 6 p.m.
• Ozone Rangers Band, good old rock-n-roll, a ZZ Top tribute band: performs from 6 to 10:30 p.m.
• The 18th annual 5K Walk/Run Race: registration begins at 7:45 a.m., race begins at 9 a.m.
• The 16th annual Mountain Bike Race: registration begins at 9:30 a.m., race begins at 11 a.m.
• The 7th annual Poker Run: registration begins at 11:30 a.m., ride leaves at 1 p.m. sharp and returns by 6 p.m.
• Car Show: parking begins at 3 p.m.; all bikes, trucks, etc. are welcome.
• DJ Eternal Fire, Mark McLaughlin: plays from 3 to 6 p.m.
• Senior Sensations: performs 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
• Joe Patrick and Four on the Floor Band, country rock music: performs from 6 to 10:30 p.m.
• Fireworks: begin at 10 p.m.