The railway depot for the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad in Marion Center is shown here in this Griffith’s Postcard.
A steam-fired engine is also in the photo. The depot opened in 1903, and the railroad tracks continued on into Ernest. In 1903, R&P opened up its first Indiana County company to produce coal.
Ernest was named for Ernest Iselin, but was formerly known as McKee’s Mill. The mines and coke oven closed on Feb. 17, 1965.
County historian John Busovicki, of Clymer, submitted this photo.