The people asked, and the committee answered: Clymer Days will be a little different this year, with new acts and special activities for children this weekend.
“The people said they wanted something different, so I tried to mix it up,” said Toni Clawson, president of the Clymer Days organizing committee.
Clymer Days kicks off with a car cruise Friday night and continues through Sunday afternoon at Sherman Street Park.
New this year is magician Michael Angelo, who will perform every hour from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
With him are strolling fire jugglers and stilt walkers who will perform that afternoon from noon to 6 p.m., and a bluegrass band that will play from 3 to 5:30 p.m.
“He’s good, he’s real good,” Clawson said.
Also new this year is a mechanical bull for bull riding and real pony rides for kids.
“I’m kind of excited,” Clawson said of all the new activities.
Then, of course, are the traditional activities: a milk-chugging contest and pedal tractor pull; food vendors — too many to keep track of, she said — carnival rides and blow-up activities and games. And there will be a Civil War re-enactment all weekend.
As always, the Clymer American Legion Post 222 is sponsoring a fireworks show Saturday evening (with Sunday as the rain date). Clawson said there will be $4,000 worth of fireworks.
“Let’s just hope it doesn’t rain,” Clawson said. “(Tell people) just to come. Hopefully they’ll enjoy it this year because we did mix it up a bit.”
Admission is free each day.
The festival also has a new website: www.clymerdaysfestival.com.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
The main stage schedule follows:
• 5 to 6 p.m.: Car cruise registration
• 6 to 9 p.m.: Car cruise with DJ Jerry B
• 8 a.m. — 5K race registration
• 9 a.m. to noon — 5K race
• Noon to 1 p.m. — opening ceremonies with the Penns Manor marching band and American Legion Color Guard
• Noon to 6 p.m. — strolling fire jugglers and stilt walkers
• 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. — Amazing Magic Show (every hour)
• 3 to 5:30 p.m. — Blue Grass Band
• 6 to 9 p.m. — Randy Hunter (Johnny Cash tribute)
• 9 p.m. — Fireworks sponsored by Clymer American Legion Post 222
• 11 a.m. to noon — Community church service
• Noon to 3 p.m. — Pedal power tractor pull registration
• 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. — Ray Skovenski polka band
• 1 to 2 p.m. — Milk-chugging contest
• 3 to 5 p.m. — Pedal power tractor pull
• 4 to 7 p.m. — The Conniptions
• Dusk — Fireworks (rain date)