10 Things to Know for Today: Sept. 30
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. AVOIDING THE BUDGET ABYSS
One lawmaker predicts that his fellow Republicans in the House will in the end avert a government shutdown by abandoning the effort to defund Obamacare.
2. CLINTON, GINGRICH BATTLE LED TO LONGEST SHUTDOWN
When the strong-willed pols faced off about two decades ago over Medicare and other issues, the government halted twice, and one shutdown lasted 21 days.
3. HOW SYRIA INSPECTORS AIM TO GET THE JOB DONE
To make sure the regime scraps its chemical weapons, the teams say they may need to blow up missiles, smash empty shells and demolish machinery.
4. ISRAEL: BEWARE NEW IRAN LEADER'S ‘SMILEY CAMPAIGN'
“I will tell the truth in the face of the sweet talk” about Iran's nuclear activities, Netanyahu says in advance of his meeting with Obama.
5. WHAT PLEDGE OBAMA MIGHT LIKE TO TAKE BACK
His promise that anyone who likes their current health plan can keep it under Obamacare has turned out to be an empty one.
6. ANOTHER TRIUMPH FOR BOOMING COMMERCIAL SPACE BUSINESS
A second U.S. private company proves that it is capable of delivering goods via an unmanned cargo ship to the International Space Station.
7. WHY AL-SHABAB SPARED MUSLIMS IN KENYA ATTACK
Papers believed to belong to the al-Qaida affiliate indicate it understands that indiscriminate attacks alienate other Muslims.
8. RUNAWAY SPENDING IN NYC JAILS
Experts are trying to figure out how the city spent $167,731 per inmate last year — nearly as much as it costs for four years of tuition at an Ivy League university.
9. ‘BREAKING BAD’ WRAPS UP AFTER FIVE SEASONS
AP Television Writer Frazier Moore says the series ended as it began: wicked, twisted and wildly creative.
10. PASS-HAPPY PEYTON MANNING ON RECORD ROLL
The Denver QB's 16 touchdown passes are the most in the first month of a season, besting the mark of 14 set by two others.
PHOTO: Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning (18) called the count as running back Knowshon Moreno (27) looked on in the third quarter an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles, Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013, in Denver. (AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)