Numerous defendants have been named in criminal charges filed before Magisterial District Judge Jennifer Rega, of Blairsville.
Criminal complaints and affidavits of probable cause are not evidence of guilt in a criminal case. Defendants are entitled to legal representation and have the right to question the witnesses and evidence presented against them during preliminary hearings in the district court and at trials in the county court of common pleas.
• Lewis Gregory Meredith, 25, Iron Alley, Blairsville, charged Aug. 29 by Blairsville police with theft by unlawful taking and access device fraud at 12:06 a.m. July 27 at 49 W. Chestnut St., Blairsville. A preliminary hearing is set for Nov. 13.
• Daniel Robert Baxley, 30, Troy Street, Emeigh, and Jason Leonard Weir, 36, Route 56 East, Seward, both charged Aug. 30 by state police with felony counts of criminal conspiracy/theft by unlawful taking and criminal conspiracy/receiving stolen property between midnight at 4 a.m. Aug. 18 at Railroad Street, Green Township. Both waived their rights to a preliminary hearing and will face the charges in court.
• Carl Lynn Durand, 27, Park Drive, Clarksburg, charged Aug. 30 by state police with disorderly conduct at 11:35 p.m. Aug. 9 at 934 Strangford Road. Prosecutors withdrew a charge of terroristic threats, and Durand pleaded guilty to the remaining charge and was fined.
• Alaura Dannon Dawon, 23, New Kensington, charged Aug. 16 by Blairsville police with possession of a small amount of marijuana at 12:45 a.m. Aug. 10 at 101 Morewood Ave., Blairsville. Her case is listed as inactive in court documents.
• Joseph Beskid, 54, South Main Street, Homer City, charged Aug. 23 by state police with driving under the influence of alcohol and two summary traffic violations at 12:12 a.m. Aug. 14 at Palmerton Road near Second Street, Burrell Township. Beskid had a blood alcohol content of 0.181 percent, according to court records. A preliminary hearing is set for Nov. 16.
• Brian Lewis Cornell, 19, Export, and Rachel Aureilia Mowder, Pittsburgh, both charged Aug. 22 by Indiana police with underage drinking at 1:48 a.m. Aug. 22 at 420 Church St., Indiana. Prosecutors withdrew charges against both of simple assault and harassment, and both pleaded guilty to the remaining charge and were fined.
• Joshua Edward Strayer, 29, Johnstown, charged Aug. 21 by state police with a sale or transfer of firearms violation and unsworn falsification to authorities Dec. 18 at Walmart, Burrell Township. Strayer waived his right to a preliminary hearing and will face the charges in court.
• Gregory Paul Geisler III, 22, Punxsutawney, charged Aug. 21 by state police with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, DUI and four summary traffic violations at 2:15 a.m. Aug. 21 at Route 119, Rayne Township. Lab results of blood tests were not yet available, according to court dockets. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 6.
• Paula M. Soufl, 25, South Stewart Street, Blairsville, charged Aug. 14 by Blairsville police with retail theft Aug. 10 at Sheetz, Market Street, Blairsville. Soufl waived her right to a preliminary hearing and will face the charge in court.
• Charles Brantley Ross, 21, Bridge Street, Blairsville, charged Sept. 9 by state police with possession of a small amount of marijuana at 9:45 a.m. July 3 at 56 Bridge St., Burrell Township. A preliminary hearing is set for Nov. 6.
• David Paul Dilts Jr., 30, and Danielle Lynn Dilts, 28, last known address Harmony Road, Penn Run, charged Aug. 19 by Blairsville police with three felony counts of burglary, two felony counts of criminal trespassing, two counts of criminal mischief, possession of an instrument of crime and criminal conspiracy at various Blairsville locations from May 1 to July 5. Both waived their rights to a preliminary hearing and will face the charges in court.
• Courtney Taylor Reed, 24, last known address Route 217 North, Blairsville, charged Aug. 16 by Blairsville police with disorderly conduct at 12:45 a.m. Aug. 10 at 101 Morewood Ave., Blairsville. Prosecutors withdrew charges of possession of a controlled substance (a stamp bag of heroin) and drug paraphernalia (empty stamp bags, needles and spoon), and Reed pleaded guilty to the remaining charge and was fined.
Reed was also charged Aug. 7 with theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property from July 1 to July 5 at 111 S. Stewart St., Blairsville. She waived her right to a preliminary hearing and will face those charges in court.
• Kelly L. Gamble, 33, Salt Street, Saltsburg, charged Aug. 20 in a private complaint by Clarksburg Auto Repair/Clarksburg Sunoco with writing a bad check Nov. 21. The charge was held for court.
• Christopher J. Jones, 40, Cornell Road, Blairsville, charged Aug. 19 by Blairsville police with driving with a suspended license at 4:10 p.m. March 24 at North Walnut Street, Blairsville. Prosecutors withdrew charges of careless driving, fleeing and eluding police and other traffic violations. The remaining charge was moved to traffic court.
• William Theodore Hancock Jr., 37, Elders Ridge Road, Saltsburg, charged Aug. 15 by state police with corruption of a minor and unlawful contact with a minor April 16 in Conemaugh Township. He waived his right to a preliminary hearing and will face the charges in court.