The Iselin tipple and power plant are shown here in 1920.
Iselin was the second major coal town established by the Rochester & Pittsburgh Coal & Iron Co. in Indiana County, with Ernest being the first. It was named after Adrian Iselin, the company’s chief stockholder.
Iselin formed the Pittsburgh Coal & Gas Co. here and opened two drift mines by August of 1903. More than 200 company houses, a company store, mine and doctor’s office, 39-room hotel, theater, churches and a school were built in Iselin, and by 1905, 440 men were employed in the mines.
This photo is from the R&P archives and was submitted by county historian John Busovicki, of Clymer. (Submitted photo)